Is there a such thing as to big?

My son was 27 lbs at 6 months and he is only getting bigger. He is now seven months old and wears size 18 month old clothes or bigger.

Mary_CoreysMom

Asked by Mary_CoreysMom at 12:29 AM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am sorry, but when the doctor told me that my nephew was obese, that was by far the stupidest thing I had ever heard. He is a baby for crying out loud and you want us to put him on a diet! *Expletive* off. Anyway....the next doctor to see him at his next appointment said he was growing fine and would lose weight as be got older and more able to walk/play and not to worry about it. My nephew is currently ten months and 29 lbs. He wears 24 month clothes....and Is too cute!
    sugarNspice930

Answer by sugarNspice930 at 7:38 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Is he also tall/long for his age? My younger daughter has always been a head taller than other kids her age, which of course means she weighs more. My pediatrician has always told me if her height and weight are in proportion to one another, that is what matters the most. What does his doctor say about it? If he's not worried, I wouldn't be either.

Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:33 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• His doctor says that at the moment his height and weight are proportional. If he gains any more weight however, than they won't be. He is my little budda man. He is a happy baby. I just worry about him being diabetic or something as he gets older.
    Mary_CoreysMom

Answer by Mary_CoreysMom at 12:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Another thing to consider, a lot of babies slim down after their first birthday (after they get more mobile). Both of mine did, and then I missed their little fat thighs, double chins, etc.! Try not to worry, Mama!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:42 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• my dd is 5 mths. and weighs 22lbs. and she's not proportional with her height. don't worry-he;ll thin out when he starts walking!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 1:29 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• infants can be obese as well as underweight.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Odds are as long as he is proportionate, you are good to go! Unless the doctor seemed concerned, you shouldn't be. He may crawl and walk late as a lot of bigger babies do. But once he does, he will probably thin out as the others have said. According to BM, SS was about 27 lbs at 7 months and now he is too thin and a head taller than his peers in every setting.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:06 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• my eldest son weight 35 pounds by the time he reached 12 months. he only weights 41 pounds at 7 years old. they usually drop pounds when they start walking and when you take them off formula. now i worry he is too thin. but i wouldnt worry about it unless your doc says something.

adoramydear

Answer by adoramydear at 3:38 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I also have big kids (well two big ones, one little). I always rely on my our dr. to let me know if I should be concerned. Have you spoken to your little ones dr.? My two youngest are very big I have a 3 year old that has been off the charts from the day she was born she wears childrens small clothing and a sz. 11 shoe and weighs 48lbs dr. says she is fine. Our 5week old son is wearing 3-6 month clothing and weighed 12.1 at 4 weeks. Just get advise from health care professionals and know there are other big kids out there.
    lesliebabl

Answer by lesliebabl at 10:40 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Thank you all for your advice. I am just a worrying mom I guess. Your right, I will miss those thighs when he does loose them. I just dread him turning out like the males in my family. I just have to remember that they were big because they ate and never left the couch.
    Mary_CoreysMom

Answer by Mary_CoreysMom at 11:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2008