JW's vs everyone else. why do they think so differently, like not joining the army or saying that we'll be in paradise instead of hell/heaven? it seems like a lot of religions have similar thoughts, what makes them so different?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have met some very nice people that are JW, now with that aside, their beleif system drives me nuts! I'll be sitting in my car, waiting for my boss to get there to open, and here they come! Banging on my car window. Knocking on my door at home! I hate having Jesus shoved in my face! I believe in God, but if I want a sermon I'll go to church. Stay away from my home and car! If you don't believe in hanging our countrys flag, joining the military, then I don't have anything to say..Okay, I've vented!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• All religions have thier differences. JW"s are pretty similar to other chirstian religions. In my opinion " paraise" is pretty much the same thing as heaven I don't see what's so different about that when some religions don't even belive in any sort of heaven or hell
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• there is a difference between a religion and a cult... cults almost always has "different" and "special" beliefs.
    Robsessed98

Answer by Robsessed98 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• not sure. i'm not sure on exactly what they believe, but i have noticed that they take scripture and put some verses in a box, without reading any of the other verses. for example, i understand they believe that only 144,000 are going to heaven. that's it. there IS a verse that mentions that many, but afterwards there are other verses that say there are too many to count, and there are other numbers mentioned as well.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Hi there, I'm a Jehovah's witness and I'm not in a cult. We dont join the army because we are to not be a part of this world and also theres the chance of going into war and hurting people, we dont want any part of that. Paradise is here on earth after judgment. We just try to follow the bible as best as possible.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• proud, i don't understand. you are not to be part of this world, but you work right? the military is a job...just like any other job, like the police, firefighters, ect. sure, we're not to be a part of this world, but we have to live and survive in it. the Bible says not to be conformed to the world, as in, don't go in the direction it's going. keep to what's right and holy. there is so much in this world that isn't holy, we're to stay away from that. There were battles in the Bible that the Lord helped his people out with. there are obviously going to be wars in our time if there were some then. Even David, who was a man after God's own heart, fought in wars, more than once.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• The paradise they speak of is not Heaven. I usually hear of it spoken of as "Paradise Earth", when the Earth is supposed to go back to something like the Garden of Eden according to their beliefs, if I remember right. It seems, like many other Denominations, they have somethings right and somethings not quite. For the most part they seem to be a pretty nice and peaceful group but there's no way I'll ever "join", thanks to my aunt. What really drives me nuts is their apparent disrespect of others beliefs.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 12:26 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think that it's not my place to judge what other people believe. I admire them for sticking to their beliefs and living their lives in their faith as fully as possible. Can't say that about most "religious" people. I don't understand much of JW's beliefs, but I know proudmomma777 is a very good resource as far as what they believe. I'm sure she would be more than happy to clarify things for you. There are other moms on here as well who are JW, or who have family that is JW and I'm sure they could help... if you really want to learn, that is.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• In addition to what proundmamma said, we don't join the military because we are not political or nationalistic in any way. We don't want to be put in a position of using violence against other Jehovah's Witnesses in other countries. As far as paradise is concerned, the Bible states that the earth will be transformed into a paradise in the future. Our conduct and belief in Jehovah God will determine whether or not we will be around when that time comes. Hell in the Bible means the grave, not a fiery place of torment. Heaven is where God lives, not where people go when they die. Heaven is where God's Kingdom government rules from. This government will crush the earthly governments that are now ruling on earth. This is all straight out of the Bible.
    KrazyChick

Answer by KrazyChick at 1:15 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• One thing the JW's do have right is there will be a new government , a Heavenly one.
    Thats as far as that goes .... :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:03 AM on Jan. 2, 2011