TV before bed

The only way i get my dd to sleep in her own crib is if she falls asleep watching Mary Poppins on the couch and then i move her to the crib. I don't like to do this i know its not good for her to watch tv before falling asleep if any one knows why its easier to get her into her own crib this way or has any other suggestions on getting her in her own bed .We have tried the cry it out it just does not work for us

sashasmom159

Asked by sashasmom159 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• how old is she? I really dont have any ideas to be honest.. I had all these rules when I was pregnant.. no tv, no binky and no tummy sleep... well. lets just say I broke every rule to get some peace in the house =(
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 11:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• my 3 1/2 yo is still rocked to sleep in my arms, watching tv of my choice! LOL!! my other 3 boys were the same way. when it was time to move into their bed and go to sleep at a certain time when they started school, then never had any problems. i know a lot of people have problems with rocking to sleep or long term bed sharing, but it has worked for us!!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 11:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My dd is 13 months old
    sashasmom159

Comment by sashasmom159 (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Maybe try to turn off the tv a half hour before bed, play a little, and then put her down and read to her. Good luck!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Its not that i cant get her to sleep its sleeping in her crib thats the problem
    sashasmom159

Comment by sashasmom159 (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• At 13 months old, I'm pretty sure I was still rocking my son to sleep in a rocking chair, but can you do it in a dark room instead of in front of the tv? Because I think that's the harder habit to break later on, whereas she's likely to outgrow wanting to be held while she goes to sleep on her own, eventually.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 12:11 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Depending on how old your child is, you may have waited too long to do the crying out method. It depends on how old your child is, really...I would contact your child's doctor and get a recommendation that way since he/she will be able to give you age specific advice. If you aren't able to do that, I would just get her on a very strict schedule and stick to it. Cold turkey is probably the best answer. The first week will be bad, but she will get used to it eventually. Humans, especially children, are highly adaptable creatures. Best of luck to you!
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 1:36 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Why fix it if it's not broken? If the tv routine is working, stick with it.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• oh, I didn't read your reply....she just doesn't stay asleep if you put her in the crib? That's not a hard one lol...do you have a bean bag chair or even a bouncer to place her in once she is asleep? Try that. Maybe she just needs to be near you. Some kids don't like cribs period. Try a pack and play instead, forget the crib =)
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2011