Need fun ideas for 5 year old girl photo shoot....Thanks

I have 2 boys and am going to take my girl cousin who is turing 5 to the portrait studio to get some pictures done and have some fun GIRLY time......im looking for some fun ideas for the photo shoot. Thanks

mommyofone15

Asked by mommyofone15 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• normally they have their own ideas and try to do them unless you have something specific in mind. either way, they still do their own pictures as well. i get my kids' done every year, on their birthday and christmas, and i try to make sure it's not the same pose every time. i try to get some of my own ideas in, just in case their ideas are what i already have. sometimes they have really good ideas i've never seen though. have them get a close up of her smelling a flower, laying by a "river" (if they have the background), at the beach, try to catch her jumping in mid-air (a white back ground with her in jeans and a white button up shirt would be cute in that pic, if she has her knees bent the right way and her arms up with the jump...i can see it in my head, hard to explain though lol) make sure you take a change of clothes so you can get different backgrounds. and if she has a favorite doll or toy, bring that too. have fun!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• thanks! Do you think she would be too old for a tutu?
    mommyofone15

Comment by mommyofone15 (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I agree with armywife, they will generally have things there for you prop wise. My advice tho is her clothing, accessorize accessorize accessorize (is that even how you spell it? LOL) Bring her two changes of clothes, I suggest one street wear.. like jeans and cute top with maybe some chucks or sketchers twinkle toes and the other, something funky maybe a tutu or pettiskirt with a layered tank top and boas or bright colorful scarf and a funky hat even. Maybe some bright colored tights to go with that favorite skirt or even the tutu or petti. If she has long enough hair, do some shots with it down and maybe during outfit change, braid it in pigtails or ponytails even. I think the most exciting thing about photoshoots is the dressing up :) Think layers and textures but keep her comfortable

Heather_F

Answer by Heather_F at 11:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• some girls start ballet at 5, so i don't think so.

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• didnt see the tutu question, ask her she may like it. I personally like the pettiskirts and sometimes you can find those at resale shops, I photographed a 16yr old wearing a petti with her black tights recently...so no I dont think she is too old...she'll love it :)
    Heather_F

Answer by Heather_F at 11:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• i agree with heather also! advice though, if you are going to do her hair, do it up first, that way when it's time to take it down, you just have to take it out and brush it real quick, instead of taking the 5 minutes (or however long it takes) of having to do it. if you braid it, do it right before the shoot, not early that morning. maybe if you're waiting in the waiting room or right before you head out the door. that way it's not crimpy or frizzy (depending on the texture) when you do have to take it out.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I have a five year old girl and you put her in white tights, a white leotard and a fluffy pink tutu....she would be in heaven, and bare feet looks adorable in photos. Girls at this age love dressing up and to wear dresses. You can also do a dress up photos, where she wears her favorite princess dress and shoes-they sell princess dresses everywhere from target to Disney stores.

If she or her parents have a favorite sports team you can do a cheerleader outfit from that team too.

You can do a fairy photo too, most studios have the fairy wings. Put it over the leotard or tutu and volia you have a fairy!

You can take props in like magic wands, stuffed animals, dolls, even a cute little bench or chair.

You might google photographer child portrait galleries and get some ideas from other photographer's poses online too!

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:52 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Thanks everyone!! We had a GREAT time! I ended up getting her a less fluffy tutu pink with black ribbon on the bottom that had white dots on it and a black tank top. I put her hair in piggy tails and didnt pull the hair all the way through so they were in like buns. And then the second outfit was a blue fluffy tutu with white tank top and pink beads and then pulled the hair in the piggy tails the rest of the way out. She was adorable! And we had a ton of fun!

mommyofone15

Comment by mommyofone15 (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Jan. 6, 2011