Anyone scared half to death to drive at night in the rain on unfamiliar roads and interstates?

I think I must have an unusually extreme fear of driving. On familiar roads in bright daylight and no rain I'm fine. Years ago I got into 3 car accidents close together. Two minor and one I messed up my car pretty bad and was lucky that I or my unborn child wasn't injured. I don't know if this has anything to do with it. I was on the interstate tonight. It was dark and so rainy I couldn't see the road. I feel I don't see well at night anyway and I notice my husband sees things I don't. I feel like I'm driving blind. Anyway, my 5 year old is in the back seat and I'm on the interstate which made me even more worried.When the rain got heavy, my leg started shaking uncontrollaby,(I could barely keep the gas pedal steady), my heart was about to beat out of my chest and my fingers went numb. This did nothing to make me feel like I was driving safely on the interstate not in the panicked condition I was in. I know this was an extreme reaction and it also made me feel very unsafe to drive the 15 minutes I had left to get home. I pulled off at the nearest exit and almost called a cab. Is this some sort of phobia I have or does anyone else get scared to death driving in these conditons. I'm completly wierded out about how extremely scared I became.I might as well been jumping off a tall building. I may decide to just quit driving at night or in rainy conditions all together...especially with my kids in the car.

christina259

Asked by christina259 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Health

• I drive for a living - I have no problems with driving
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 11:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I think you did the right thing by pulling off the road until you calmed and its ok to wait out the bad weather. I dont enjoy driving at night at all and I hate driving in places that I dont really know...though it has gotten better since I bought a GPS so I can see the roads and where I need to go before I get there. I avoid driving at night if I can just because I dont like to but sometimes it can't be helped. It sounds like you might have been on the verge of a panic attack, maybe talk to you dr about it if driving at night isnt something you can avoid.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I'm scared to drive at night but mostly because I've hit 3 deer at night. And I'm cautious (sp?) for them. It's just like they are attracted to my car or something. Lol...but seriously I drive pretty slow at night because I'm SO scared I'm gonna hit another one.
    DreaB83

Answer by DreaB83 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• You might have a vision condition, Cataracts cause night blindness, i have it. I hate being on the roads at night period but in the rain and in unfamiliar territory, forget it.

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I kind of get like that when I have my son in the car. It's been unusually rainy here lately and driving on the freeway where people still dare to drive 80mph+ can be terrifying. I avoid the freeways when it rains too much if I can, especially at night.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Yes, especially in the rain. It seems with the glare of the lights on the ground, I become blind. Driving on roads I know at night is okay, but strange roads...scares me. Especially interstates with no shoulder...that COMPLETELY freaks me out.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• It is some kind of phobia you have but it's understandable because what happen to you. Maybe in time as you gain more experience in your driving skills your fear will subside. In the mean time don't drive in the dark.

I personally hate driving in black ice and where I'm making tracking on the road from a snow strom. I'll drive but very slowly.  :-/

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I try to avoid driving at night if I can because I do not like it. I also do not like to drive in the rain but sometimes it is unavoidable.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 6:17 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• It's those unavoidable times I worry about. Seems I definitley did have an extreme reaction there. Now what to do about it....:o) so I don't get that way again.
    christina259

Comment by christina259 (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2011