contractions feel like....?

just recently ive really started thinking about labor, im 5 months along. ive a been a labor coach a few times but i know its different when its your own. anyways, ive been asking what contractions and labor really feel like and i realized its kinda different for everyone, but in general, any opinions anyone wants to share with me?

dez1379

Asked by dez1379 at 11:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• If the pain is consistent then it may be labor. It never hurts to stop by at L&D just to be sure. Better safe then sorry
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Contractions felt like period cramps, except 100 times worse, and as far as the actual labor and delivery, it wasn't too bad...the contractions were the worst for me, and when dd crowned (I had to stop pushing, and I literally could not breathe.)..but it really wasn't that bad..my brother in law asked if I could do it again and I told him yeah (I didn't have an epidural, but didn't go totally natural I had some sort of pain meds)
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 11:36 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I never had period cramps or anything, but what I compare it to is like a clamp getting tighter and tighter and when you think it's not going to stop, it lets off. I had induced labor though, which I hear is stronger than going into labor on your own.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:43 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• EVIL DEMON HELL DEATH CRAMPS.

At least. that's what I remember. It might not have been that bad in the grand pain scheme.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:53 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My contractions felt like the worst of my period cramps (yes, my periods are that awful) that came in crashing waves, for which I couldn't take any medication for. They offered me meds, which I took, that did nothing for them. The epidural was nice, but my left leg was numb for hours afterward. Handling one contraction isn't so bad-- but it's the constancy that makes it hard to bear. I think I would have been able to tolerate it for a couple of hours, but to have it for the 22 hours I was in labor... um... no.

I think for the next one, if the labor is shorter as they're supposed to be for second pregnancies, I might go natural. But if my labor lasts even 10 hours... oh heck no.

It's called labor for a reason. You can do it whatever way you'd like. It's also amazing what you can do when you put yoru mind to it, so if you don't want meds-- don't take them. I chose to keep the option open, and boy am I glad!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:00 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Mine would just start out as what felt like braxton hicks, but gradually would become pain in my lower back. It then progressed into horrible horrible menestral type cramps, but as the other mama said, 100 times worse. Your tummy with tighten and become very hard during contractions. When the baby is beginning to crown you could feel a burning sensation. I found that pushing felt amazing with my first, but I thought I was going to die pushing out my second. Oh and when you have to push, YOU HAVE TO PUSH. The feeling is overwhelming.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:36 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I have a high pain tolerance so I went natural with both, but don't feel bad if you need an epidural. Labor with my first four and a half hours long and with me second, 5 minutes. No I am not joking :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Honestly I don't remember EXACTLY what it felt like but I do recall mine seemed to concentrate on my hips and back more than anywhere else. I think I had back labor. Before I actually went into labor I went in to my MD to get checked a couple of times because I thought I was going into labor. Finally she told me that I would know it was really a contraction when the pain was so bad that I couldn't walk or talk through it. Yep, that was a pretty good indicator....
    BeccaGee

Answer by BeccaGee at 4:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• im scared for this too!!!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 10:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• it just felt like i needed to poop
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 11:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2011