Is this a rational fear or may I subconciously feel this way anyway?

My friend has been in her relationship just a year longer than I've been in mine, and we always vent to each other when our SO's get on our nerves, like normal women do. She and her SO have had a WAY rockier relationship than we have but some of our feelings are the same. Today she found out her SO has been cheating on her and he admitted to doing do pretty much the entire relationship (shes known about a few times in the past). Ive been paraniod about my bf doing so in the past, but as far as I know and think I believe that has never happened, but now that I found out her SO has been all of a sudden I'm panicked that mine is doing the same. Is that rational? It doesn't mean he is, but I guess since its happening to her, and we always swap stories all of a sudden now I'm worried. There is no real reason for me to believe this is true, but is it rational that I would feel this way knowing what my friend is going through? I am a paranoid person and have anxiety issues to begin with but I guess I just need to know if what I'm feeling is valid, if I'm crazy, or if maybe I feel that way anyway.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• I think it makes sense when you find out something is happening to someone close to you, then you wonder if it could happen to you too. Like the whole "you never think it could happen to you until it does" thing, and finding out it's happening to your friend makes it hit close to home. If your friend hasn't asked you to keep it to yourself, maybe you could use it as a conversation starter with your SO, and maybe he'll reassure you.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 12:07 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• No, that isn't rational! Why would your relationship be the same, sounds to me theirs have always been rocky. I know that misery loves company, but sometimes those are the worst company to have!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• You shouldn't worry about it if you have no reason to believe that your SO is cheating other then your friends SO cheated on her.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I guess you would wonder, but if you have no real reason to think your BF is cheating don't worry yourself to death. They are two different people your talking about just bec 1 is doesn't mean the other is just bec you 2 are best friends and discuss everything. Do you do everything she does? Do you see ANY SIGNS that he is cheating ? Don't cause any problems where there are none, like accusing him, not good. Just be a good friend and listen nothing more nothing less. Good luck.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2011