How do I explain to my autistic child why her grandmother isn' t here anymore (resently passed away)?

My liitle girl is 9 years old and she was very close to her Gran

Mandi247

Asked by Mandi247 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Does she understand heaven and angels? I would just say Gran died and that means she had to go be with the angels in heaven.
    Anonymous

• Telling an autistic child G'ma is in heaven is the same as saying she is at the store. They will think heaven is a place where you can visit and come back home.
    Autistic kids are very VERY literal.
    Is she high functioning? does she understand the concept of death, (ie: bugs, works, goldfish, dead animals on the side of the road)? You need to be honest with her. Do you have any social stories you can use? Is it possible to enlist the help of her school ? PT/OT?, Yes it is hard to tell them but she needs to hear the real truth that G'ma died. and then answer any questions she may have........
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I agree straight and to the point. My son has the hardest time with the concept of death. Change of any kind is difficult. You need to just explain and answer the questions as they come. There may be no 'good" way.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 12:06 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You may have to keep reminding her depending on her functioning level. I agree with finding social stories and talking to teacher, ot etc. to help.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2011