What are your thoughts on Dr. assisted suicide?

Now keep in mind that alot of these patients go home to die. It is the responsibility of the family to go to the pharmacy & pick up the “cocktail" of drugs that are to be dispensed and administered in order for patient to die. Would you be able to do this if it were your mom, dad, SO?

Kathy675

Asked by Kathy675 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Health

• I wouldn't be able to do it. I would have no part in it if it were one of my loved ones. I would honestly try to talk him/her out of it.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Also, I don't think it's a decision people should be able to make within a day. I think counseling should be required so that they are completely aware and mentally stable.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:11 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I'm all for it. If they are going to die anyways why make them suffer? Let them die when they want too. Like one mother on here pointed out f we have a way to put animals down when they are suffering why can't be put those who are in a lot of pain "down" when they are suffering and dying?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think that the patients should be required to have a nurse, doctor, etc with them when they die. I think that a private property (their home) or a hospital would be suitable locations.

And yes, I am for it.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:09 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• iam all for it. How sad to think that the one you love is going to have to suffer and die slowly i would never want to go that way and if asked by my mom or dad or even husband of course id do it for them i wouldnt want them to suffer and id hope that they would do the same for me. Plus yes id want to be at home and die at home not in a hospital or a facility as many would agree.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I am all for it. And yes if it were my loved one and they were suffering and dying slowly I would be more than happy to pick up their "cocktail" and bring them a glass of water too. I would prefer for someone to do the same for me also if it were me suffering.
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 12:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I am not sure but I have watched someone die from incurable colon cancer so that changes the way you look at things.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 6:13 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Honestly, I think it should be legal but there should be strict guidelines for it. For example, I think that if a terminally ill patient decided that they wanted it, they should be able to have it BUT all feasible options for that patient must have been exhausted already (including things like medical marijuana) and it should ONLY be used as a last resort to end suffering. I would rather give someone I love the drugs prescribed by a doctor (again if that is what the person in question wanted) than watch them continue to suffer through the end of their life. We had to watch my dad suffer because of the fuckups of the hospital he was in (amongst those, neglect) and it was NOT pretty. If that had been an option for him, before he lost consciousness, and he had requested it, I think everyone in the family would have supported it. I won't go into the gory details of why that would have been a good thing for him to have...
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:23 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think it's a great option for terminally ill patients- I would want the option, and I would do it for anyone I know in a heartbeat. It's your life, if you're going to die anyway you might as well have the option of going out peacefully when you choose, rather than in a hospital alone you can die at home surrounded by loved ones.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:50 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• @Razelda, the patients have to go through alot of counceling before the Dr. approves this. The reason I brought this up is because it is a law in our state and I, at one time supported it thinking it would take place under a dr. or nurses care and was dumbfounded to find out that not all patients are in a facility, but rather go home to die.
    Kathy675

Comment by Kathy675 (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Jan. 2, 2011