persistant cough

Ugh! I was diagnosed with mono 3 days ago in the ER... They did a chest x -ray that was normal. for hte past 2 nights, besides having cold symptoms like being stuffed up and what not. . I've been coughing.. every 10 seconds it seems like.. I hardly got any sleep last night.. and I took Vicks Nyquil tonight and it's not kicking it, the cough is still there. Anytime my back leans against something, the couch, bed I get this feeling in my lungs like I need to cough.. Could this be something more serious than the common cold and mono? I need some sleep..BTW.. ti's mostly an unproductive cough. sometimes there is mucous. and it doesn't get far enough up my throat for me to spit it back out, I end up swollowing it.

Po0okiebear69

Asked by Po0okiebear69 at 12:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Health

• The same thing happened to me over the summer. I wasn't diagnosed with mono, but after being forced into the ER by my DF, it turns out I had pneumonia, and that took months to fully go away. If it wasn't for the normal chest x-ray, I'd say this sounded a lot like pneumonia. I had common cold symptoms, and I had to cough all the time. I spent a good long while crying because I wanted to sleep so bad and all I did was cough and I knew something was there I just couldn't cough it up. I hope it's not pneumonia, because that sucks. :-( Maybe you should go back to the doctor and get checked out again? I hope you feel better soon.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 3:18 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Try using Delsym. This is a cough medicine that works great. Hope this works.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 2, 2011