tattoo :(

my almost 19 year old daughter is amazing. my husband and i are so proud of her. on her 18th birthday she went out and got a religious tattoo on the back of her neck. she doesnt regret it, i dont really mind but now its getting to the point where she doesnt want to hide it anymore! what should she do? she got it without our permission and to be honest i grew into liking it but i know her old fashioned father wont. help! what should she tell him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• Well it is a religious one, and she is now past 18 so hopefully as an adult now he will accept her choice. If it were something dirty or ugly I could see it, but if not there are too many other things to worry about. My DD had several tatoos and the kids use to tease her, she was killed and I wish I had her here now to tease and let her friends tease her, but tatoos have come along way in the past 7 yrs. I always said my DD was ahead of her time, now even the actresses have tatoos everywhere. Gently tell your S/O there are just so many other serious things he could be worried about if your DD is a good child besides a tatoo in this day and age.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Just make sure that he understands the WHY of the tattoo. My daughter and I got tattoos together and my husband flipped out! He really did not think that I would have allowed our daughter to get a tattoo (she was 16) and he thought that I was over wanting to get one. Well...our daughter's tattoo represents her and her daddy (butterfly kisses) and mine is a dolphin coming out of a wave with peace and harmony symbols underneath him. Both of our tatts are in appropriate places, hers is on her ankle and mine is on my lower right back. It sounds like your daughter's is in a wonderful place and means something to her. My daughter-in-law has tattoos and all but one are Christian tattoos.  The other is a purple ribbon representing domestic violence in memory of her grandmother.  Just let your husband know that they mean something to her.

guyandtoni01

Answer by guyandtoni01 at 1:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• She's an adult (at least legally) now, and she was when she got it. He will either have to just deal with it or get over it or something. It's her body, her life, her tattoo, etc. and so long as she doesn't regret it, she shouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks about it. I know that sounds disrespectful to him, but no one does every single thing perfectly in the eyes of their parents (or anyone else for that matter). If he loves her, he'll get over it and learn to accept it, even if that takes a while. Since it's not something disgusting, vulgar, or offensive, it will probably be easier for him to learn to accept it. The only thing she can really say to him is why she got it and what it means to her. After that, it's up to him to figure out what he thinks about it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:15 AM on Jan. 2, 2011