Child has Tonsil Stones What to do?

So my 5 soon to be 6 year old daughter has been delevoping Tonsil Stones for a while now. We took her to a ENT doctor, he said it was to early to decided if it was a chronic problem plus @ the time she had fulid in her ears( infection that caused temp, hearing loss) so he treated her for that and said maybe it was related. Well its not she still getting them. And they can be pretty big the size of an ant (witch is big conserding its stuck in her tonsils) She gets them about once a wee it seems like maybe everyother. I know they are bothersome to her cause every time she gets a Chronic (Ahem ) throat clearing and sounds like shes choking when she eats. She does eventually spit them out once they become loose, shes giving them to me and has told me shes spit them out in class before. What im concered about is @ 16 after suffering my whole childhood with Chronic strep throat and getting scarlet fever (yea bet u didnt think that was around still 10 years ago) having them removed . My husband had his removed last year because of tonsil stones and a chronic mild sore throat. i know ur thinking well then just have them removed.. But it a surgey that requiers being put to sleep plus i know that tonsil take a big part in protecting a child immune system. Im sort of lost between here. Do i have them removed now or wait till shes older and see what happens to see if it gets better or worse. I just frankly dont know ? does anyone elses child have the same problem

Cherriemama831

Asked by Cherriemama831 at 1:33 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Health

• Personally, this is the first time I've ever heard of tonsil stones, sounds awful. We had our sons tonsils removed when he was 6 because of strep throat and chronic ear aches. I didn't want to wait until he was older because it takes longer to heal and is harder for an adult. Have you considered getting a second opinion?
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My dd had them when she was 6 now she is 7 yrs. old. She loves to sing so one day she noticed them and was looking at them for the longest with a hand held mirror then a few days went by. I heard her playing but did not think nothing of it by then she had forgot about the tonsil stones she started to sing more like an opera singer then she came over and showed me what came out from her throat/mouth. I was like how did you take that out? She was like I was just singing and I felt it in my mouth...lol I just laughed and was relieved it was out I am sure she was too. I would not do the surgery until you know these stones come out by themselves. As long as they are not bothersome I wouldn't worry too much eventually they will come out. I just thought it was cute the way it happened to us...lol GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:59 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Well she goes back on tuesday So i can tell the doc that they are still coming back. And yea they are horrible lil things. From what ive read and heard about most Doctors tell people they are harmless(and that they are just a build up of old white blood cell,food particals,and bacteria) and just give you bad breath. So i guess ill see what he has to say about them now that shes off antibiotics and decided for a 2nd opinion. How did ur son take the surgery? i know its quick but i also know its painful and my daughter doesnt handle pain very well.
    Cherriemama831

Comment by Cherriemama831 (original poster) at 1:59 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Well they do come out eventualy . they say that everyone has had them and most of us dont know it and we swallow them. She gets one and its stuck for 3-5 days I have removed a couple with a q-tip but its hard cuz she doesnt like it. Its just that i can tell when she has one by the way she acts . She will start clearing her throat and going Ahem Ahem and cough. Like i said having them removed is really the last thing i want to do. Im just worried it going to become a Chronic problem and shes going to suffer like i did. and thats they last thing i want, it was misserable
    Cherriemama831

Comment by Cherriemama831 (original poster) at 2:04 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I had issue horribly with strep all my childhood. My doc refused to take them out....now here I am 21 miserable as hell right now with tonsils that are kissing! My doc now says they should have been taken out a long time ago and probably actually played a bigger roll in me getting sick then anything. I wish they would have been takin out when I was younger, this is crappy.
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 2:05 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• yea that is another concern of mine. Knock on wood shes never had strep but i think if she gets it once thats gonna be it for her and shes will be sick all the time . I was on amox. for 4 months striaght and a week before i had mine removed had a painful penicilin shot to the butt.. OUCH my father finally took me into an ENT after not being able to eat or drink for 3 days the doc took one look and said OMG u have to go to the Hospital right now. i was in there for 3 days cuz the swelling had to go down before they could do the surgrey and i had only had 60% air way left at that time..
    Cherriemama831

Comment by Cherriemama831 (original poster) at 2:10 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Personally, I would find an ENT doctor who would remove them. Both my son and I have had our tonsils removed. Mine were removed when I was 37 years old (I was susceptible to strep throat as a child as well) due to returning tonsil stones--the stones can be removed with a Q-tip, but always come back! (The dr. gave me a round of antibiotics to clear up any infection before the surgery, but one was still infected at the time of surgery). My son had his tonsils removed due to swollen tonsils that caused sleep apnea (he would stop breathing at night when sleeping) when he was 6 years old. He was eating fried chicken the same night of his surgery. I, on the other hand, as an adult, went home the same evening of surgery with some pain and pain medication, went to sleep and woke up in the most pain I had ever felt! I learned the hard way the pain medication had to be taken exactly as often as prescribed; set your alarm as an adult!
    Cookie618

Answer by Cookie618 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I'm surprised she hasn't had them out yet. Tonsil stones are common in some people. I used to get them all the time and I used to get strep throat all the time. I had my tonsils out when I was 20. My 9 year old daughter is, according to her doctor, three cases of strep away from getting hers out. She has tonsil stones too. They are nasty. Not in the sense of causing discomfort, but they stink.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• did you try home remedies yet? i read up on it&there are a few things u can do.SOme people said it helped&they didnt come back or only once in a blue moon...i personally find that better than having your tonsils removed. i remember one treatment was rinsing your mouth with apple cider vinegar (2 cups boiled water 1/4cup vinegar is the mix).another person said brushing teeth w/ baking soda&making sure to floss&brush the back of the tongue since those stones r made of bacteria and other stuff that i forgot what it was lol but linger aound your mouth and end up getting trapped in the tonsil area and create the stones. SO brushing teeth,flossing and rinsing are very important. Some people said they remove them with Q-tip, others with safety needle one end made like a hook (wow...)u get the pic,just trying to get them out. The webpage also said there was a video on youtube on how to get rid of them..if i find the page i'll post it
    Davina85

Answer by Davina85 at 6:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2011