How old before a girl should wear makeup?

harris4

Asked by harris4 at 1:33 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I really don't want to start my girls down that path. I wish I never started wearing make-up. They don't need it at such a young age.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 11:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Well my girls are only 3 and 5 , but i think makeup should be in steps. Like at 13-14 maybe a lil bit of eye shadow (not like Mimi from the drew carey show) i really mean like neutrul colors or glitter with mascarea.Then at 16 face make-up (not that 16 year olds even need it) eyeliner and blush ,but then i think is where they can experment with what they like.
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 1:49 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My daughter and granddaughter both got into my make up when they were two-three years old. I would put it up, but they were constantly finding it! Finally I got them both little kits at the after Christmas sale when they were half price. I would put makeup on my daughter when she had a dance recital at 4, and I always put a little blush, lip gloss and mascara on when they had picture day at school. Now that she is 17, and my granddaughter is 14, I am glad I did it my way. Each of the girls knows how to wear makeup, and they do it tastefully, to accent their beauty instead of "gilding the lily". Those girls that look like they are twelve,with eyeliner heavy around their eyes, and bright eyeshadow up to their eyebrows, Lip liner around their lips, with a different color of lipstick? That's not my girls-LOL-my girls know better. In fact, my dd has girls come up to her at school and ask her advice on their make up!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 1:49 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think that playing with makeup at home is fine for younger girls, but they should be at least 12 before they use anything like lipgloss and maybe 16 before they can use things like eyeliner.
    kathy5980

Answer by kathy5980 at 2:37 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Thanks guys! My dd will be 12 this month and i have told her we will revisit the issue on her bday.. but i do feel a little uncomfortable with it though i had my sis tell me it also depends on the childs maturity. I just keep going back and forth with this and i want to make sure i am not being unfair due to me trying to keep her little forever!!!!!!
    harris4

Comment by harris4 (original poster) at 2:43 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think that kids in elementary school (I mean like late elementary school, not kindergarten or something) can wear something like lip balm, maybe the glittery kind, middle school eye shadow and stuff, and high school whatever they want to wear.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:05 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think middle school is old enough to wear like a bit of eyeshadow and lip gloss but nothing too heavy.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• What is she wanting to wear? I would say a little lip gloss is fine. Do it in steps, a little at a time. Maybe if it's a special occasion like a wedding or a birthday dinner out, a little more. Later on, maybe a little light colored eye shadow or brown mascara.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:01 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Depends on where you live. In my area the girls start wearing it in 6th grade, which is our last year of elementary school. My daughter wears makeup and she is in 8th grade and 13. In face I took her to the clinique counter and bought her the proper foundation ( acne solutions). She is actually really good at applying makeup.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Thanks ladies!
    harris4

Comment by harris4 (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2011