Is your toddler a parrot?

My 2 year old repeats EVERYTHING! If you ask him a question, instead of getting an answer, you get a portion of the question repeated LOL. Has anyone else's LO gone through this? It's funny, but in a way I feel like he's not learning to communicate, like he's not understanding the concept of Q&A!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter just turn 3 in Nov and she still a parrot, lol But i think they are learning to communicate with repeating its how they firgure out and understand it . u know its like Monkey see Monkey do . Ur son might now completely understand the contents of your question but thats how hes learning it. You could also try re wording ur question and see if u get a differnt response. This just means u have to becareful what u say around him now LOL
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 1:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Some parroting is normal and age appropriate. You know you say "dog," and the child repeats dog...learning to communicate. Usually parents have a story about saying a curse word and a child repeating it all day.

Some parroting can be a sign of a speech delay and communication delay. If your son has no spontaneous (spelling ? ) speech then and only repeats your questions and seems to have trouble understanting I would be concerned. He should be able to answer basic questions by age two or at least understand you. You know like "Bring me the ball" he should bring it to you. If he just repeats the phrase and then acts like he has no clue what you said there is some delay going on.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• no thank goodness.. not that my husband or i have bad mouths but others do... and i would be damed it i were to hear something come out of his mouth that wasn't from us.... if we ask him to say something then he will but that's the most of it.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 1:55 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I would only expect him to be able to answer some very simple questions like, "Do you want ____?" w/ a "yes/no" response or "where is the ____" with a "there/here" or pointing response and "what is this?" for simple things like "dog, ball, book etc". Two year olds don't understand "why", "how" or "when" questions and that may be why he imitates part of the question. I would be concerned about his communication if he doesn't follow simple directions like previously mentioned. Also by two he should know enough words that he can sometimes put two words together like "mommy up". If your still concerned let your doctor know about your concerns and see if it would be worth getting a Speech Therapy evaluation.
    BeccaGee

Answer by BeccaGee at 4:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• reserach echolalia. If this sounds like your son, get a speech therapy evaluation, along with a appt with the developmental ped.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Thanks ladies, but no he can follow directions when given them, he talks and forms phrases/sentences on his own just fine. He just doesn't ever answer questions! I guess I'm not too concerned - he doesn't seem delayed at all! But thank you all for your help :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2011