How Long is too long to be with someone with out being married or engaged?

If you all have kids does that change the timeline? im just curious alot of ppl making babies but few are getting married.. whats up with that?!

jazmya_mom

Asked by jazmya_mom at 2:01 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• i'm not one to say anything on that but i was married before we had our son and even knew i was pregnant... but i really don't think it means anything.. i have an anut and uncle that have been together for years and i mean years barely gotten married only due to an ex wife of his but other then that it's up to you... if you want to be able to be part in all of his life or just some.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 2:14 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• hi..i think there is no amount of time needed between 2 person loving each other just as long as your happy together.........
    neng999

Answer by neng999 at 2:16 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I would say that without kids 5 years would be my own personal "deadline" for no engagement. I wouldn't want to live 20 years with someone and still just be boyfriend/girlfriend. That's just me, though, and I think other people should do what they want.
    kathy5980

Answer by kathy5980 at 2:33 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• @kathy that sounds reasonable if you had kids would u want to do it sooner?
    jazmya_mom

Comment by jazmya_mom (original poster) at 2:34 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I have two sons 17 and 20 and i do not feel the need to marry him. I never had a dead line so I could live as a couple we suck but as parents we rock and thats all that counts marriage does not always make it better.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:13 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• my husbands grandmother has been with the same man for over 30 yrs, no engagment or marriage...she says this is the way she is happy...i don't know the whole story but i know they never had children together but both had children from previous marriages..i think as long as the couple is happy with their choice that's all that matters
    hammomof2

Answer by hammomof2 at 3:17 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I don't see the point in EVER getting married unless you both want to. It's a piece of paper and yeah, sure, it helps with legal stuff and all that, but it's still a personal choice. I wish we hadn't gotten married sometimes. I know people who have been together most of their lives (people old enough to at least be my parents, some older) and never got married because they didn't care about marriage.

Basically, it just depends on the couple. Some people don't every want marriage, some want it too soon, etc. I don't think that having children changes things at all. It's not the piece of paper that matters, it's the commitment, trust, love, etc. that really matters and you can have that without marriage.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:59 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• It really is up to each couple. Like MrsBAT said it is not the piece of paper that matters, it's the commitment, trust, love, etc. that really matters and you can have that without marriage.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I personally think marriage can be a curse... If you are having a good time, and have a good relationship... why possible mess it all up? Just my opinion though...
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• 9 yrs 2 kids together and we are not married. I was married for 14 yrs once before. I am fine with how things are. He is more committed to me than my ex-husband ever was.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2011