WHEN DO YOUR KIDS START LEARNING SPANISH ?

I'm wondering... when would be the best time to start with Spanish lessons.
How much will it be worth spending per week or per month?

Thank you.

dalemas

Asked by dalemas at 2:27 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The earlier the better. I am waiting until my daughter learns to read english, than I will introduce the spanish alphabet because I don't want her getting confused. She can count in spanish, say basic greetings, and more...thanks to Dora LOL.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 2:34 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• from what i hear the sooner the better cause there brains are sponges... but it's all up to you and if you want them to know spanish..
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 2:43 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Well my children speak spanish as their primary language but they learned english as babies and toddlers also. As far as how much to spend i can't answer that but do shop around. GL
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 3:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• The public schools here do spanish classes once/week starting in kindergarten. It's definitely not something I stress - I'd MUCH rather my kids have an excellent handle on the english language before they start a 2nd language.

Answer by missanc at 7:49 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• The sooner the better! The more they hear the language when they are young, the more likely they are to easily pick it up. My DD is 19 months old, and my mother speaks mostly Spanish to her, and my brother speaks only french to her... And she may not be able to respond in the desired language yet, she can understand all 3 languages spoken to her.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:00 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• LOL mine are already learning from some shows like Dora, they don't understand it quite yet they are just repeating what they hear I think but its a start. I wouldn't worry about it too much yet, let them learn english first and then worry about different languages. unless of course they live in a spanish speaking home or have family that don't speak english.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My daughter started of learning wathcing Dora. The school she attends now (shes in 1st grade) is a dual language school with spanish immersion program. She has beeb attending sicne preschool and has learned a lot! I noticed one person stated earlier that they want teir kids to learn english first so that the kids dont get confused.....my daughter hasnt had a problem being confused with the two languages, but I know it all depends on the child. My friend puller her daughter out of the school because it was affecting her learning at her current level.

It really depends on the child. Some may be able to handle another language at young age and some might not. If you cant afford classes, I would get spanish book from the library or some tapes and let the kids listen to them.
    MizzNicole

Answer by MizzNicole at 1:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Mine learned english and spanish toghether with emphasis at spanish first and most often at home. At school they start spanish in Kindergarten - I think its 2x's a week and since we are in Miami they go to either Spanish for English speakers (where they learn basics like colors, numbers etc) or Spanish for Spanish Speakers (where they learn how to read and later write etc.)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2011