What to do, Really tough!

Okay I have a poodle, and I can't take care of him anymore due to money problems. I'm going to take him to the animal shelter Monday. I had him for three years, but I can't provide for him anymore. What to do? How to tell my 5 and 7 year old? Please somebody give me the best advice possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Oh, how sad. You've already tried finding him a home? The only thing I can think of is to tell your kids that you have to take him there so that he can find a home where people can afford to buy him the things he deserves to be comfortable.
    kathy5980

Answer by kathy5980 at 2:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• it's not easy... and they will be heart broken.. but you have to do what's best for your family too and the dog in this matter... i'm sorry you have to go through this... i know it's not easy to give your pet up for adoption... but you'll just have to take it day by day.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 2:40 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• At first a lady at Petco told me she would take him, but then she changed her mind. I guess everybody I'm asking is looking at his age, but i do strongly feel the animal shelter will find him a good home. I rather do that than see him go without food. I'm doing my best to feed him, but dog food is not cheap, and he's a picky eater so he basically eat the good expensive stuff. I tried to cut back and buy the cheaper dog food, but he knew it was not his brand.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:43 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• we had to let our dog jack go to day to new home it was hard all of us but we new he will be happy
    when he meet his new family he wagging his tail and lick their faces he will make out find
    tell your kids the truth they need to no why yes you will see tears of sadness but they will understand
    there are also places that they keep the dog till you get back on your feet
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:48 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Oh no i would take him if you live nearby! i have a 10 yr old poodle. I would maybe tell you to tell them that some poor old lady had to live by herself after he husband died and she was scared and wanted him for company! i hate that you have to lie to them but at this point i wouldn't tell them the truth! May make it worse. I am in Louisiana and our shelters def aren't the best!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 2:48 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• i would do what harris said maybe they will feel like helping someone is better than keeping the dog for themself
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 3:13 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• can you at least take it to a shelter that wont kill it after a certain amount of time? cause that way you know they will find your dog a good home and not just lock it in a cage and then kill it.
    brittany5555555

Answer by brittany5555555 at 3:14 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I wouldn't so an animal shelter, unless it is a kill free one, if your dog is old it increases his risk of not getting adopted. I would start making fliers and putting them everywhere. They don't have to be fancy just hand written and heartfelt. Someone will come forward.

Good luck.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• sorry, but if the dog is too old, they will put him down.....its a sad thing, but not many people want old animals.....sorry
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I would try and keep the dog. Could you ask for dog food on craigslist, or even ask the shelter if they have a program?
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2011