ABOUT DOING CHORES

WHAT KIND OF CHORES DO YOU THINK A 6 AND 7 YO SHOULD DO

19angie74

Asked by 19angie74 at 3:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• clean up their room. put dishes in sink clear table after dinner and help put up groceries.
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 3:12 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think it is reasonable to encourage children to participate in the household to whatever extent their capable of (and that changes depending on the kid).... and I think it is unreasonable to expect children to be Cinderellas because they're children, because parents find the work beneath them or because it's anyone else's responsibility but the parents that the children even exist.

Children will happily pitch in with work that is done with a joyful, gracious manner... and will resist to their very core taking on drudgery that is only for underlings.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:55 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Cleaning room, picking up toys and books after using. Help fold his own clothes, setting table, clearing table. I think it's good for them to work along with parent in whatever is being done. Bathing dog, raking yard, taking out garbage. Not doing these alone, but alongside parent. Start with a couple of thing he can do on his own, and praise him.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:09 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• my 7 y.o. picks up his room
    strips the dirty lines off his bed and helps me re-make it
    fills the cat food bowl, is learning to fill dishwasher,
    clears the table,
    He likes to help daddy stack wood, shovel snow,sort scrap (think sanford and son lol)
    he helps me sweep and vacuum
    he takes care of his clean laundry and likes to help me do the laundry
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:16 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I dont make mine do anything until they are 9-10 yrs old really. When they are smaller like 6-7 I ask them to help put toys away when I am cleaning. I ask them to help me carry something in the laundry room. Basically any "chores" are mommy chores and I ask them to help so they can observe what I am doing. That way when they are old enough I can assign a chore and they know how to do it with limited prompting or having to show them how again and again. I think assigning chores too young is more of a pain for me then a help. I end up having to go back and do it again anyway.

Answer by gemgem at 9:19 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• i tried to have my 5 yr old do laundry once......once is all it took.....i do it myself now! lmao!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Clean up after themselves. They could also help with dusting, dishes etc.. I would do that as long as I had a reward system planned out.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• help with the groceries pick up toys take out trash fold laundry and clean the bathroom :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Clean up any messes they directly make (in their rooms, kitchen, any other room of the house) like putting dirty dishes in the sink, cleaning counter/talbe if they make a mess, sweep up any food they spill, put toys/games/etc away in any room, laundry in hamper, etc. My kids were also expected to help with other chores since they are members of the household and not living in a hotel. They help carry groceries (either from the car or all the way from the grocery store when we walk), take out the trash, help in the yard (shovel snow or rake leaves), fold their own laundry. Heck by 7 my son knew how to do his own laundry so did my 9yo daughter. They make the mess...they clean it up. I'm not their maid.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011