Health Insurance

My kids are 4 and almost 17 months. Neither of them have insurance. My son missed his 15 month shots and his 18 months are coming up. I have no clue what to do and we really cant afford insurance but we make to much money for Medicaid or Healhcheck. What should I do??

HaRlEiGhSmOmMa

Asked by HaRlEiGhSmOmMa at 3:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Health

• The state will always help insure the children. Most states have many programs. You can also go to the Dept. of Health and they will give the shots and see the kids when they are sick.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 6:09 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• If you make too much money for medicaid then you make enough for insurance because you can make a decent amount of money and still qualify for insurance JUST for the kids. There are also free clinics that will vaccinate children. Cut down on some expenses and get insurance for those babies. Call the medicaid office first thing monday morning. The best investment is in your children and their health.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 9:29 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Call your local Health Department. They do it free here.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I OBVIOUSLY cant afford it if i said i cant! But, thanks anways....
    HaRlEiGhSmOmMa

Comment by HaRlEiGhSmOmMa (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Like everyone else said The Health Dept or clinic. What about ALLKIDS.....that is for people who make too much for medicaid..but not enough for private insurance
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I wonder...do people not know how much private insurance is anymore? I know some friends who pay $700-$1600/month on health insurance alone!

OP, you might want to try to look into the Medicaid again. I'm not sure if they have any low-income clinics near you, but they usually work on a sliding scale based on what your income is. Ask around, see what you can find out. And if someone tell you that you don't qualify for their services, ask them who you CAN go to for help.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 12:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I think it's pretty common for states to have programs that pay for all or most of the immunizations if you don't have insurance. A few years ago we called around to ask- it was $300 for the well child check up, but just $10 for the shots IF you don't have insurance.

It seemed to me like they didn't do any other means test to give you the discount on immunizations. But call them and ask.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:24 AM on Jan. 3, 2011