Any ideas?

I am trying to find a way to stay at home with my son so that I can finish my degree (trying to get my teaching credentials) and not have someone else raising my son for me? Any ideas? The issue is that, right now, my SO and I make the same amount of money...actually I make a little more, and we need both incomes to make it...any ideas on how to cut back or what i can do as a part time at home gig to make it work????

i know, it is kind of a pipe dream, but I was hoping someone would have an idea that might work for us...

TitusMom7

Asked by TitusMom7 at 3:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• Add up how much the daycare, commuting, tax loss and wardrobe expenses are costing, and see how much money you actually have to make to keep your family income where it is. Because a great deal of your income (or so's -doesn't matter who it is who's raising the kid or giving up working) is very probably spent on making the income in the first place, it may not take anywhere near as much without those costs.

Many women (and some men) have found that a sideline of home party sales or weekend/evening hobbying that's profitable is more than enough to make up for the loss of full-time income minus daycare, commuting, wardrobe --without even getting into the cheaper foods you can prepare when you're home, or the fact that you'll only very rarely eat out for lunch (or need 'easy to pack, prepared foods' for the kid's lunches).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:28 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• You could sell Shaklee, a great line of vitamins and eco-friendly cleaning supplies.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 4:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Get on a written budget where every dollar of your household income has a 'name.' Start with necessities:
    Groceries
    Utilities
    Rent/Mortgage
    Insurance
    Fuel
    Car Payment
    Other debt
    Entertainment
    Etc.

I bet you'll find lots of ways to cut expenses if you have a written budget. Get your spouse to agree to the budget with you. And for sure change it every month since things come up.

Use cash for the things you pay for in person. Like groceries, clothes, entertainment, etc. Figure out how much you will need/want for those categories and then take out cash. Put the cash in envelopes labeled 'groceries' 'clothes' 'entertainment' etc. Then use that instead of using a debit or credit card.

You'll find that it saves a lot of money as long as you don't cheat. ie) borrowing from one envelope to fill up another, or using the debit card when the envelope runs out. Just make sure your budget is realistic.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:07 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Perhaps think about a home business.By working one one a week, you can grow a business bigger than you can imagine. To ensure a business that grows exponentially, you want to make sure it is a consumable product, it fits in with the timings and trends, there is a demand for the products and one that you can leverage your time. Good luck with everything!!! All the best in the new year!
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 9:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Just because you work outside the home doesn't mean someone else is raising your children.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:12 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Have you talked to your present boss? See if there is any way you can telecommute?? It's tough, girl... If you can find anyway possible NOT to quit your job, I would sure do so. It will look so much better on your Resume with that experience.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:20 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I work from home and I love it! I am a stay at home Mommy to my 3 ½ year old son, and 22 month old daughter. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Free website, training, and unlimited support!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!

Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping MOMS Work from Home since 1999!

Visit my website:
    www.OurCEOMom.com
    Get to know our Team on Facebook: www.LikeInternetCEOMoms.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:58 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I do PrePaid Legal from home ..started a few months ago for a little extra money when my job started doing furlough days. It's done well for me , so I will be quitting my job and my PPL income will replace my salary. It's your own business, so you set your own hours and be as flexible as you need to be. No parties, no inventory, no quotas to meet and I set my own schedule and work at my own pace.

Good luck !
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 9:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2011