How do i get my 3 year old son to mind?

He is very hyper active. He tries to push my buttons really bad. I cant even take him to the store because he throws a fit if he dont get what he wants. I have actually broke down in the middle of Walmart crying because he wont listen to anything i tell him to do.Please help me. I just want him to mind he is such a smart child. I dont see why he will not mind me.

Tonya849

Asked by Tonya849 at 4:05 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would suggest reading Alfie Kohn's 'Unconditional Parenting'... you have arrived at a collection of extremely unrealistic expectations of a 3yo who has his own brain and is an whole, separate person.

It's always the smart kids who are first to figure out that their parents' whims are no more important in the universe than their own... which immediately begs the question 'why would I do what they want when it's not what I want?'

You have to be able to answer that question with respect and honesty (not 'because otherwise the police will come and get you' or anything else that's fiction designed to manipulate or terrorize) before you will discover how to effectively encourage cooperation... and you have to learn to pick the battles that matter the most.

I like Barbara Coloroso's criteria: if it's not life threatening or morally threatening, leave it alone. Even if you find it embarrassing or annoying or stupid.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• He is being a typical 3 yr old testing while learning to be his own person and able to do what he pleases. Your job is to teach him boundaries and discipline.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 9:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Don't let him go to the store with you anymore. & make it a big deal. My son did this when he was 3 & it really worked. When I would leave for the store, I would make sure I said, "Okay, I'm going to the store now. Oh, I wish you could come with me but you don't behave so I can't take you. Maybe next time..." Put a time frame on the calendar & make X's every day until the next time he will be allowed to go with you & show him every day. Now, if he doesn't show that he cares, this probably won't work but my son didn't like not going with me & now he behaves (most of the time, lol).
    luvr4ula

Answer by luvr4ula at 1:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2011