Does anyone attend online schooling?

I would like to go back to school online seems to be the best possible way for me? way for me I have no money for tuition books and such and I want to attend Ashworth university is there any kind of way I can get around this? I'm clueless about grants and financial aid I don't know where to start

Mizzsweetooth

Asked by Mizzsweetooth at 4:26 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• I do. I am currently enrolled at Penn Foster for child psychology. All of the supplies are provided and they are accredited.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:28 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I would try to just do your local community college b/c a lot of the other ones are "for profit only" and their degrees are worthless. Not saying that once you get a degree at a cc that you will be guaranteed a job, but they're just more likely to be accepted. I would look up the reviews online. I lucked out b/c one of my co-workers told me about stuff like that, and I looked it up. The f*ckers still tried to convince me it would be ok, and they wouldn't refund my money. (Until I threatened to sue them... Or call the cops...? I don't remember, but something like that..LOL they finally refunded it.) A big red flag is if they charge you an application fee. (This particular school did. I thought it was odd, but I brushed it off.) I am at the local cc. (Cont.)
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 5:04 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• (Cont.) I have taken some classes online, mostly on campus, though, but once the baby is here, I will be doing purely online for a while. After that, he will go into a daycare at the school so that I can get more done. :) Good luck, and just be completely sure of how the school works, etc. :) Apply online, and then once you get accepted, go to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ and apply for your financial aid. :) Good luck! Oh, and the supplies are not included, but depending on your income, you get way more than you need to buy your books and supplies. The funds for your classes come automatically out of the financial aid amount. Then you're set to go! :)
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 5:09 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Fill out the FAFSA (fafsa.ed.gov) that will help you see if you qualify for grants and most scholarship applications require a copy of your FAFSA.

Anyway I do attend school online from a local University. It's about 1/4 the cost as an online only University. You'll find that most local colleges now have many of their degrees entirely online. The cool thing is when you get the degree no one can tell whether you attended class in person or online.

If you do decide to go to an online school make sure to do your research. I went to University of Phoenix for a short period of time. Then I called around to see if I could transfer and none of the schools in Utah said that they would accept a single credit from University of Phoenix, even if I had a full degree. Yes online schools can be accredited, but doesn't mean that businesses and other colleges accept them.

Continue:
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Call potential employers and see if they'll hire you with a degree from that college. Most won't.

It's worth it to do your research before spending thousands of dollars on a degree that could end up being worthless.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:03 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:15 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• If you have a community or Jr College near you I'd look into that before doing a strictly online college. Most of them really are not looked upon as highly as a "real" college. Both my kids go to colleges near home and they both take most of their classes online.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:21 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Stay away frrom schools that are soley online. I went to a prestigious school and when I had my daughter I completed my online classes online with the same school. I also applied for the Masters degree program online at Boston University. Find a 'real' school in your area with an area campus and ask if they have an online option and once you graduate your transcript wont say that you completed your classes online and it will definitely not say it is an online school and if the school should be 'googled' it will not lead to a for-profit online school. Community college have alot of classes that are online, hybrid, blended and traditional.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I am currently in a BA program all online through the University of Phoenix and I love it. They worked with me every step of the way. They transfered all of my credits from my cc and they helped me get grants and scholarships to pay for my classes. They are nationally accredited. I have been on a few interviews in the last coupld of weeks and they all liked my degree program. Some have even told me when I get my degree to come back for other positions. Good Luck with your search.
    angelfromcali21

Answer by angelfromcali21 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• As an HR manager, I would counsel you to stay away from any for-profit schools. Start with your local community college for an A.A. or A.S. degree or transferable credits to a state university, that type of education is more highly valued. samnmayasmom has the best advice ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2011