How do you control what your child eats at other people's houses?

Some of the answers to this question: http://www.cafemom.com/answers/691591/Would_you_rather_your_child got me thinking about something. When your child is at a friend's house, how do you control what he or she eats? Let's say, for sake of discussion, that we're talking about kids who don't need Mom to be there with them. And let's leave allergies out of the equation as well. Obviously if your child is allergic to peanut butter, you're going to inform the parents of his or her friends of that allergy. What do you do to ensure they don't eat "shit in a can"? Do you check out the cabinets at their house to find out what kind of food choices that family makes? What would you do if you found something on your list of "do not eat"? What if you found out your child ate something you disapprove of while he or she was there? What would you do?

I realize I run the risk of being called a troll, or an asshole, or some other term that I'm sure I'll think of later, but I'm curious about this, so I'm going to go ahead and post it. Obviously...because it's been posted.

makelineerror

Asked by makelineerror at 7:31 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• all you can do is talk to the parents (if possible) or remind your kidds what they can't eat and hope it all goes well. Cuz you really can't control it unless your there.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:33 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• "all you can do is talk to the parents (if possible) or remind your kidds what they can't eat and hope it all goes well. Cuz you really can't control it unless your there. "

Yeah, I figure this will be the typical response (mainly because it makes sense), but do you freak out if you find out your kid had a cupcake while he was there? I know when I was a kid, everybody wanted to go to "that kid's" house because he had COOKIES!, and we would eat because we were kids. I can't ever remember seeing anyone turn down a cookie simply because their mother didn't allow them to have sweets.
    makelineerror

Comment by makelineerror (original poster) at 7:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• my 4 year old spends the night at my mom's quite often and my close friend's who also has a 4 year old. neither my mom nor my friend eat extremely healthy. my friend usually orders pizza for dinner with hawaiian punch and lets them have a snack before bedtime and something awfully unhealthy for breakfast. my mom gives my 4 year old as much chocolate milk as she wants without bothering to note if she's eaten anything.

i guess my point of saying all that is i dont control what she eats when at other people's houses. the only time i would ask that she not eat certain things is if she had a food allergy. otherwise, she's at a friends, or at grandma's, have a little fun. i remember eating junkfood everytime i went over to a friend's house. here at home i am not that lenient with the zillion glasses of chocolate milk and junkfood.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:41 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• "i guess my point of saying all that is i dont control what she eats when at other people's houses."

I guess this particular posting is more for the people who say "My child has NEVER eaten ______ because it's not healthy/not organic/processed". I just don't see how they can be totally sure of that if the child goes to friends' houses.
    makelineerror

Comment by makelineerror (original poster) at 7:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I don't worry about it. I know when my kids have friends over to spend the night or to play we might have a special snack (chips or cookies) that isn't something we eat everyday.
    However, when they were younger (my older ones are 9, 10, and 13) I did keep closer tabs on what they ate. They also didn't go over to friends houses to play when I wasn't with them, so it just wasn't an issue.

Answer by missanc at 7:48 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• How about this then? Everything is ok in moderation. A cookie or 3 every blue moon isn't going to harm them. It isn't all the time.

Like going to a fast food place, they are so bad for you, but once in a great while won't do anything.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:48 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I don't particularly mind if they stuff themselves with junk food when they go to friend's houses, it's just one night and it's not going to harm them. The worst things that's going to happen is they will get sick from too many sweets and/or additives, then the friend's parents will deal with it, my child will move on and probably eat a hell of a lot more to make themselves feel better! So I'm basically saying what is the issue with them eating what they enjoy once every now and again? As long as I feed them healthy whilst they're at home I just leave them be while away.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• As long as they arent feeding my kid Human, im pretty much ok with whatever they feed him. I dont just let him go to anyones house, so if its his friend, its prob also my friend and I know their eating habits and they arent eating anything crazy. I have mexican friends who feed him mexican foods and I like that he is trying food from a different culture. So again, as long as they arent feeding him human, im ok with it.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:10 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I've got better things to worry about than my kid eating junk food at someone else's house. It's not heroin, it's just sugar, saturated fat, etc.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:14 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. It's one night maybe 2 meals. It's a fun thing! I would let them splurge.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:44 AM on Jan. 2, 2011