Jury Duty Advice

I was just summoned for the 5th time for jury duty, I  have always been able to get out of it by saying it would cause "financial hardship". Well this time they want me there on DECEMBER 22!!!! of all times of the year!! I can't claim financial hardship because I work for the school district and they will see that school is not in progress. What have your experiences been? Does it really take just 1 day like a friend said?

Gigi1969

Asked by Gigi1969 at 1:15 AM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I had to leave an exclusively bf infant and my 3 non-schoolaged children for 2 days because of jury duty. My Dh had to take off work the first day and keep our screaming infant (wouldn't take formula b/c she never had). The second day a friend kept 2 of them (she had a newbie and 4 others of her own) and I had to drive to another friend's home to leave the older two. Finally, when all was said and done I got to leave. They told me I would be able to have breaks to use a breast pump, but we were only given one 15 minute break and it was at 12:45. We had been there all morning with no breaks. I had nightmares with my last pg that I could be called back - waking up screaming type nightmares. Look up Family Friendly Jury Duty online. You'll be amazed!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 1:30 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I had previously used the excuse of no one to care for my son but he is 10 and IDK what their rules are PLUS! I think I should just get it overwith because I don't get paid for jury duty. We live next door to my mom but I am alone otherwise. I have to put drops in my moms eyes 3x's a day but other then that I don't qualify as a caregiver. I guess I have to go on the 22nd. : (
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:36 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• If you're in a "one day one trial" county, then it only takes a day unless you're selected for a jury.

When you're called as a potential juror, you will be told how long the trial will take. MOST take a day or two. If you cannot serve for that length of time, you are allowed to plead hardship. Very few people are turned down on that basis.

If you spend a day in the jury room without being called, you're done for the year. In the last three years, I've never spent more than a half day in the jury room and have never been through voir dire.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I was only called for jury duty once and it was when my second child was a week overdue. I was asked when I expected to deliver and when I said "last week" they couldn't get rid of me fast enough! LOL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• THEY CALLED ON ME TO SERVE I TOLD THEM I WAS BREAST FEEDING MY INFANT WE LL I LIED SHE WAS ON THE BOTTLE I WAS NOT GOING TO LEAVE HER AT 2 MONTHS WELL THEY EXUSED ME THANK GOD !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Show up to Jury Duty with your kids, and see if they argue with you about a fucking hardship! That's my plan, I'm in the same boat... yet they denied my hardship.
    msmikkle

Answer by msmikkle at 9:42 AM on Nov. 11, 2008