would you say something to her?

my very close friend, just bought her 7 month old a forward facing carseat. she can easily face the carseat to the rear but she's facing it forward because her daughter prefers it this way. she says the carseat reads "20 pounds and up" and her 7 month old is 20.8 pounds. she obviously doesn't know the law in our state that the child must be 20 pounds AND 1 year. she's already posted a picture of her on facebook of the child facing forward in her carseat. she could get fined or in serious trouble if she doesn't turn her around. my 11 month old is still facing rear but in a convertible kind. should i kindly remind her of the state laws? im afraid she won't heed my advice anyway...

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:58 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Kindly tell her what the law is, but you'll probably have better results if you aren't accusatory. Just say you probably don't know this, because I know you're a good mother and want the best for you child, but safety experts and the state law say...or put it in your own perspective, saying I know I couldn't live with myself if I didn't do this and there was an accident and the child was hurt. You're doing the right thing. If she doesn't take your advice, there's nothing you could do about that, except maybe report it.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:03 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• As a close friend I would let her know your concern. Its about the safety of the child not how she prefers to sit.
    JAIMEELLEN77

Answer by JAIMEELLEN77 at 8:03 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• If it is a close friend I would say ' Hey I know you turned ___ around recently but did you know? I found out that our stae requires them to be a year old AND 20 pounds!' She can take it or leave it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:05 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• If you are aware of the law and she is not then the best thing would be to educate her with hopes that she will listen and consider the safety of her child. Maybe she is unaware of the reason behind the law and not to familiar safety issues that made the law the law.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• The law in NY is 22 lbs or 1 year. If its different in yor state you may want to kindly remind her, and it is ALWAYS SAFER to put a child in a rear facing seat, even up to 2 years.
    cinderellac1

Answer by cinderellac1 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• u should definately say something, it is for the safety of the baby, her body maybe 20 pounds, but her little head is not stable enough to be facing forward.
    jamrya55

Answer by jamrya55 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 2, 2011