Should I go back to work?

I'd love to, honestly, except my DS is special needs and I have to be on call for him. He's only at school 4-5 hours a day and there is no daycare for Jr Hi aged special needs kids. So I'm kind of in a wierd situation where I feel kinda stuck.

I hate just sitting at home all day and would love to real life interaction.

I can't find any work I qualify for or that is willing to hire me based on my limited hours of availability. Plus there's always that unspoken age bias out there.

Also I cannot afford to go to school and get trained for certificates and degrees. I have to find something based on my limited qualifications.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• I can imagine how it may feel sitting around a majority of the day and not have anything to do. Have you ever thought about working from home? That way you won't have to find a sitter or daycare that will take care of your son the way you want but still have the interaction with other moms that can relate to you. I can imagine the options you have are few and far between with a special needs child.

If you are interested, check out my site www.4theLoveofMyFamily.com :o) I would LOVE to get you more information and see if this is something that you would be interested in!

Take Care!

~Alyssa
    Helping Moms Work From Home Since 1999!
    www.4theLoveofMyFamily.com
    www.sandamaliska.blogspot.com
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 12:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Have you thought about being self employed? What if you got a job that you could do on your own time? Or on weekends? Maybe cleaning homes or offices? Yard work? Pizza delivery?

I'm sorry that you are bored! You'll probably have to get creative on things you could do. But I'm sure if you think about what you are good at, you'll find a way to make that into a part time job.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:58 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• What about volunteer work? Libraries, Animal shelters, zoos, Schools and Aquariums to name a few thrive on volunteer help.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:42 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• i think you answered your own question. maybe try babysitting or dog walking. something that can get you out of the house and interacting with others. or maybe at your son's school they might need someone. the best thing is to ask around. word of mouth might be better then looking for something if you have limited time and qualifications. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:43 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I also have a special needs kid. Even though he is high functioning (autism) Daycare at this point is out of the question.I work nights as a CNA. The hospital I worked for paid me while I was being trained (training was paid for by them as well) There are also NA's that work in the hospital, CNA's work in the nursing home setting. You could try McDonalds , wendy's etc etc they usually have special hours for moms, and will work around your schedule. You could also try getting a job at a school either in the classroom, cafeteria or cleaning
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:50 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Okay perhaps you need to join or start a breakfast or coffee club in your area. Of course if making money is your goal then an at home job may be something to consider. Start your own services. Find something you like to do and market it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:15 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Think out of the box. There are a lot of home business opportunities that you can do on your time, get to meet others and can take your business anywhere. You mentioned you are in a rural area, with most businesses, you expand your business anywthere...there are no designated territories. Good luck. I knew that I needed the flexibility of a home business and it is unbelievable. Wishing you all the best.
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 9:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• You might check out www.care.com

They have different categories of jobs and some are odd hours.  Use the pulldown to see the different categories and then your zipcode.  If you don't see the categories right away click on the care.com logo.  GL!!

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:09 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I just tried the link I sent. Each time it is different. Click on the "care stories" at top of page to use categories pulldown without putting in name and address first.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:12 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• A merchandising job would be perfect for you. Most of the time you get to set your own hours and made up your own weekly to monthly schedule. It's very flexible! You can check out those in your area at Narms.com. Click on Jobs/Careers and then search the JobBank.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:16 AM on Jan. 2, 2011