Who hates doing...

volunteer work?

in my area its so unorganized, I lost interest. Hard enough to motivate myself to do it as it is, but when its like that, I lose all interest completely.

For me, I'll admit I don't do it for the right reasons, which is to help who/whatever the work is for. I tend to do it for a reason to get out of the house and a chance to socialize and thats not the reason I should be going for (I'll admit that much).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Yep I hate people not knowing what you're meant to be doing...
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I actually like it. I volunteer at our local animal shelter walking dogs on Fridays. I used to volunteer at the library but had to stop after having kids. I helped people find good books and read stories to children. I never ran into an organization problem though if I did I would try to address it by making suggestions or coming up with new ideas.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Whatever your reasoning may be for volunteering, your still helping people and your community so no need to feel bad about getting a little something out of it for yourself. I used to do volunteering at our local children's hospital but the way they set it up was awful. They had a SET schedule that you HAD to be there, which was usually starting around 9am to 5pm. Pretty much like working a full time job. If you didn't meet your amount of hours needed every month they'd get onto you about it and the woman who handled everything was completely rude and it was obvious she was miserable with her job. I haven't volunteered since. Not because of the bad experience, but because my kids need that time from me alot more.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:54 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I volunteered a lot at my church this past year and I hated it to be honest with you. I'm not committing to anymore volunteer work until my kids are grown. I work full time and to volunteer on top of that was way too much for me.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I do a lot of volunteer work in a lot of different areas, and have for years. I don't like it when it's totally unorganized, but when I can, I will try to get it more organized, and if it's that bad or I can't do anything about the parts that are bugging me, then I volunteer elsewhere.

As far as keeping track of the hours and stuff, most groups I know tend to be sort of casual about it and do it more on an honor system, because honestly, it's volunteer, so it's not like you're getting paid, so if they're lying about working, say, 6 hours, when they really worked 3, talked for 2, then left early, then it's not really costing the org anything, and they still got 3 hours out of them, kwim?

The only time it's a problem is if they're supposed to be there for a shift or for something at a specific time and don't show up.

Otherwise, just do it to help out and to meet people and don't stress over the hours, kwim? :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:20 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I love it. I usually take over and spear head it when it is unorganized. I dont offer suggestions I just see it isnt working and start doing things my own way so it does work. The last project we did was raising money for Zahra Bakers memorial. She is from my area, and the school wanted to do a garden in her honor. It was pretty disorganized so I got with it and raised enough money for the garden and had left over for a scholarship in her name. The school and other moms didnt seem to mind since they didnt know how to get more money in, and when it started rolling in their were pleased.
    I also do bake sales, after school activities (sports etc), read to kids at the school, tutor etc. I just love it. I do love the socializing aspect. I am a stay home mom so being able to help and meet other people was great. I dont think there is anything wrong with doing it for that.

Answer by gemgem at 9:25 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• If it is unorganized, then maybe that is what you need to do. Become the organizer.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:43 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Why not step up and do the organizing? I volunteer at the elementary school and it's very organized. I punch in on the computer when I go in and leave. They keep track of volunteer hours. I've done different things, mentoring and tutoring children, teacher's helper. I was a docent at the lighthouse and park near my home. We has classes to learn all about the history of the area, and were tested. Clocked in and out. Then led school and tourist groups, gave a talk and had to be able to answer their questions. I given cooking classes to kids in the foster program. I did organize a group to volunteer at a historic building that was being restored. It's rented out for special events like weddings, etc.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:53 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I LOVE volunteer work!!!!
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 11:47 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I tried offering suggestions and asked questions, but was blown off. I don't think they had an answer for such an obvious problem and didn't know what to say to it.

I worked at a animal shelter. They concentrated mostly on the dogs, but I'm more into cats. Cats don't need as much care, granted, but they still need it. I'd noticed that to see the cats, you didn't need to go thru the main office and sign in or that anyone even knew you were there at all. Someone sound conceivably walk in and steal a cat and no one would see them. I asked them about that and was ignored.

I also brought up how the volunteer sign in roster was way off to the side and there was no way to know if someone actually did any work. You could literally walk in, sign the rostyer, claim to have worked for X hours that day and simply leave if you wanted and you'd get credit for it cuz they never checked. I thought there was something wrong with that system.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:02 AM on Jan. 2, 2011