If God wants to be honored and worshiped, why not just keep us all in heaven?

Why even create mankind, or put us on this earth?

Opinions?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 8:55 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• That for me goes along with free will. If we were in heaven, with all of our needs met, it would be very easy to worship and honor God. It's much harder here on earth when we have so many other things to tempt us to take our focus off of Him.
    I look at it like I look at the relationship with my kids. If I forced them to stay home and spend time with me, it wouldn't mean as much as the times that they actually turn down offers from their friends to stay home and spend time with family.

Answer by missanc at 8:58 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Earth is to prove our faith. Faith is belief in the unseen, therefore God has to be unseen - you cannot have true worship without faith.

This is not necessarily what I believe (I don't even want to think about it anymore), just the answers from my Philosophy & Ethics.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:59 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I was wondering that my self.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:04 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• @leah_rai...but the bible says that God was seen by Adam and Eve in the begining of their creation. It wasnt until they sinned that they could no longer look at the face of God, right? Help me understand where you are comming from.
    sugahmamma

Comment by sugahmamma (original poster) at 9:05 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• God created us the way he created everything else on this earth. He chose to give us free will, which is something most people believe no other animal has in this world. With free will we are free to choose to worship him or deny him. It is our choice. He would love for us to turn to him with everything, for help, his love etc, but it is our choice. He did not create us to be his slaves to worship him.

Answer by gemgem at 9:06 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• sugahmommy I dont think we ever were able to look or hear God. In the Bible all it says is he created us and told Adam and Eve not to eat from the tree of Life. How he told them could have been through angels or whatever. Eve was then tempted and ate it and we fell from grace and were seperated from God at that point because mankind disobeyed him. After some time he then sent his son in order to bring mankind back to him, and give us a way back into Heaven.
    If we are all His children, look at it from a parents perspective. We disobeyed and were punished for a time, then given a way to not be punished. We do this to our own children all of the time dont we? We also want our children to love us and choose to turn to us since we can help them with our life experiences, but we dont force them to right?

Answer by gemgem at 9:09 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think we should just say "screw you then, buddy" and go back to slaughtering livestock in the name of Zeus and crying out Odin's name when charging into battle so we can go to Valhalla.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Better yet- if he's so wonderful, why does he even have the desire to have people worship and praise him? Shouldn't he be perfectly content and happy with his perfect self? Why the human emotions? Why the need to create anything?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:16 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Read Genesis. That should answer a lot of the questions here. Including IhartU's.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I don't believe that being honored or worshiped was God's intent or purpose. I believe He wanted us to learn, to grow, to embrace our inner humanity (being humane-ness, our compassionate, loving side) in growing to better understand each other and Divinity, in growing and working on fulfilling our potential in terms of becoming God-like (love, compassion, etc - those qualities inherent in our conscience, our humanity). Its all for our benefit, not for His. To become enlightened, to steal a term. Deeper understanding and appreciation (not just for God, but for one another, etc), cultivating our spiritual maturity, etc. Given that, earth serves as the best place to see that through.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 2, 2011