What to do when...

your special needs kid is getting on your nerves. Only human, can only be so patient.
But once they are outta bed its all about them them them all day long and no one else can concentrate on anything personal at all. You cant even hide out in another part of the house, they don't understand social cues and get mad when you get irritated with them.

I'm so tired of hearing about cartoons, video games, and what they think they know about the internet and movies. Also tired of the Know-it-all attitude and constant bickering and having to shadow me wherever I go.

All I have for an escape is the bathroom and the gym, maybe any errands I can think up.

I'm way beyond needing a break. I need this kid to grow up a bit and get out of some of this little kid mentality he retains. He's in Jr Hi and special needs right now. I'm patient, but he seems to be at a very very slow, almost arrested development and you'd swear he was 8-10 yrs old, instead of 12.

Open to suggestions. I just feel like I don't wanna be around him lately.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Mine has Aspergers, General Anxiety Disorder and Separation Anxiety and Anger Mgt. I know where you're coming from, OP.

I'm at home all day and my only break when he's at school, which sometimes he gets sent home from early sometimes. And I really do dread holidays and breaks cuz he doesn't do anything outside of the house. No friends. He's only into computers, the library and video games and tv. Boring to me and get son my nerves with all the nonstop talking. Can't even think.
    Mandz1

Answer by Mandz1 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Look up respite care in your area. My son does respite care for 4 hours once a month on Saturday. He gets a social skills class and I get four quiet hours. We pay 25 dollars for it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:21 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• It was also suggested to me that I contact the local college's to find out a about posting an ad or a student in the Therapy or psychology department to come to my home and watch my son while I was there for extra credit for them and a break for me. they ask for little pay and it is a huge help to both parties. I have not done this yet but my DS OT recommended it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:26 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My 5 year old daughter has Down syndrome and I feel exactly the same way. She is very high functioning but also very demanding of everyone's attention.

Is there a Best Buddies program at your son's school? That might be something that gives you an extra hour once or twice a week after school.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 10:51 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• this are both great suggestions , look in to both of them ....good luck
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Check w/ your local Brd of Dev. Disabilities- you may be able to get a whole weekend of respite care & they have summer camps & other activities throughout the year. It's a great way to get your child more socialized & get a much-needed break for yourself. Hang in there! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Aspergers right? Sorry to break the news, but the little kid mentality will stick around for a while....trust me. The only suggestions I have are to make up more excuses to get out for a while...or be honest, and go get your nails done =) Just sounds like you are on overload... it will be okay.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I will. Thank you. I hadn't heard of Respite Care before
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:24 AM on Jan. 2, 2011