Do you do marriage counseling?

If so, how much is it? Do you go to a therapist, church, etc? Where do I find information?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• DH and I just got married in August. We did a few counseling sessions with our pastor at church, which I felt were really great. We learned a lot about conflict resolution, financial stability, and just knowing how to handle each others differences in personality and character. I would definitely go back and speak with our pastor at any time. All couples have disagreements and arguments, and it's important to have that third party there to help you through some issues. If you are a member of a church, I would call and ask about meeting a few times, maybe once every 3 weeks or so at first and see how it goes. You could also ask your pastor/preacher if he or she would ever do group sessions using The Love Dare book and journal, because that is a powerful tool! Pick one up at a bookstore and go through it yourself- I just picked one up the other day! Good luck!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I have the love dare and love languages - neither are working.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I am not currently married, but am a strong advocate for marriage counseling and have even looked up couple's counseling for friends of mine. I just started with reseaching it on google, depending on if you live by a big city or not, many places have sliding scales- so the fees are based off of your income. Couples counseling is very useful and beneficial, BUT both parties need to want it and be willing to change...I wish you the best of luck!
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I went to marriage counseling with my ex. My church pays for it, so we went to someone they recommended. She was great and the book she recommended I read was "Boundaries" by Cloud/Townsend - I can't say enough good things about it! But, with that said, he is my ex so obviously it didn't work but it did open my eyes to what was going on in my marriage.

Answer by missanc at 4:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2011