Which version of the Bible do you use, and why? (if you use one, obviously.)

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:03 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• When studying it we used the King James. My sister is a Christian and she uses the King James because she feels it is the most complete even though it takes a bit of deciphering.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 11:04 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• NIV -I like it because it is easier to understand.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 11:07 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• NIV for the same reason as Queenofscrap, I was told about it for my daughter and I got her one is was wowed about it so I had to go get myself one.
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Excellent question. I'm trying to clean off my book shelf and I have so many versions. I'm not sure which ones to keep and which ones to donate. I'm curious what everyone else prefers, too

Answer by admckenzie at 11:12 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I have a few different ones, NIV, NCV (I think that's what it is) and a Catholic Bible. I also have a KJV and NKJV, but I rarely use those, just when comparing the different translations. I also have a Tanakh (Hebrew Bible).

Mamaie

Answer by Mamaie at 11:16 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I have a King James, a NIV and a New American Standard. I like having the different translations so I can cross reference them. The NIV is the one I use most often, but so many of the Scriptures I have memorized are from King James.

Answer by missanc at 11:31 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I have both a KJV (hate it with the exception of Rev 6:8) and a New American Standard (love it). I like the New American Standard because it is easier to read and understand.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I use a New King James and I love it, I also have an NIV (not a big fan) a New Standard and a King James. I also use crosswalk.com quite a bit becuase you can see so many different translations there.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I continually change and compare......Biblical scholarship has made more advances in recent years, so the latest is usually my favorite.....remember, when translating, older scripture has been found, and also Hebrew has no punctuation nor is it broken up into verses, that is something we have done.....therefore, Biblical scholars must use what they know when they are trying to figure out what the writers meant....that is why up to date biblical scholarship is so important.....also, another thing people may not realize is that there are words in Hebrew and Greek that do not have a comparable word in English, so the scholars try to find a similiar word....also mistakes were made in finding those words in some of the older translations, and that is why people feel as if the newer translators "changed" the Bible.....fascinating stuff, and not as black and white as a lot of laypersons realize.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• EOB (Eastern Orthodox Bible) is the one I read from the most.

We also have an old family bible from my husbands side of the family that is a King James I believe
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:02 PM on Jan. 2, 2011