diaper bags?

what is really needed in a diaper bag? this is my first child and i have no clue what we are supposed to have in the bag. i bought a small diaper bag and a large one, is there a difference between the sizes. i just want to make sure that i have what i need for her

new_mom_2011

Asked by new_mom_2011 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• change of clothing diapers, wipes, nasal aspirator, burp cloth, also put trial size baby wash and powder in there, a extra shirt for me(just in case I have a leakage accident) That is what i have in mine
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 11:58 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• When my Son was a Baby, His diaper bag consisted of diapers, wipes, powder, a washcloth to cover His penis during diaper change, change of clothes, lotion, couple of toys..all I can think of right now, but I'm sure I'm forgetting something. lol.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• For a young baby, diapers, wipes, extra clothes ,warm clothes in the winter, blanket, bottle and formula if using them, toys depending on age. I would recommend the bigger one, or do what I used to do and use a backpack, it has much more room and sits on your back so you have full use of your arms. And it has places for you to put your wallet and other stuff, I was forever fishing mine out of the bottom before I switched lol.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Oh yea I forgot the nasal aspirator and the burp cloth lol.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Oh, and His little Baby Care package..the nasal thing, fingernail flippers, Q-tips, etc.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• In my diaper bag(well my back pack I used) there was:
    pacifier
    blanket for breastfeeding
    bottle and powder formula for emergencies(after 6 months she got weird about nursing anywhere other than home I think she got distracted buy the noise and action)
    change of clothes
    diapers wipes
    butt cream
    tylenol
    sweater or jacket.
    a toy or two.
    Later there was a container of cheerios and jars of food
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Haha, I knew I was forgetting more stuff. Most of what others say that I didn't, add that to ny list. lol.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My mom made me a special diaper bag with my first child. It was sort of like a messenger bag, but not as deep. The top flap could lay out and be a padded changing mat so she would also have a clean place to lay. I loved it and used it with both of my girls. I would pack our diaper bag with all of our changing supplies (diapers, wipes, a small tube of Desitin, etc - we didn't use powder since we were told it could cause respiratory issues) as well as extra clothes just in case and feeding supplies - bottles, liners, nipples and burp cloths. I also had an outside pocket for my cell phone and a special hidden inside pocket for my wallet so I didn't need to carry a purse with me too.  When we had our second daughter, our older one was 4 1/2 and I would keep some first aid supplies in the diaper bag as well as her snacks.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• First off, Congratulations!

Second, know, you will ALWAYS forget something, no matter how prepared you try to be. Give yourself a break. =)

I used to take 2 changes of clothes, 4 or more diapers, a container of wipes, and toys. Those are the necessities. We didn't do baby powder, because the powder caught in the air can get in your baby's lungs and cause health problems. I breast fed, so bottles and stuff weren't an issue, but a blanket or 2 was always kept in the car. If you aren't breast feeding, You'll need a bottle of plain water, maybe 2 (4 oz.) and some formula.

Clothes for you are also a good idea, even just a shirt because there WILL be messes. Mia never took a binki, but if your daughter does, that's something good. Make a list of the things you use in a regular day, and then put spares in the diaper bag!
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 12:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• The other ladies that posted have some great suggestions, but I'll throw my two cents in as well. I always had 5-6 diapers (breastfed babies poop a lot!), a travel size container of wipes, buttpaste, infant motrin and tylenol, nose aspirator, 2 burp clothes, 2 changing pads, travel size container of baby powder, breast pads for my leaking, 2 sets of clothes, 2 pairs of socks, baby nail clippers, receiving blanket for breastfeeding, a couple toys, baby sunscreen, and that Johnson's naturals baby chapstick type stuff for lips/cheeks. Of course if you're bottle feeding you'll want to keep formula and extra bottles in there.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2011