formula ?

When do i stop giving my son formula, and how do I go about changing it, he doesnt like to drink anything else, like juice or plain water..

ohhowilovemyson

Asked by ohhowilovemyson at 12:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• you can stop as early as 12 months. My Children got formula most of the time and a little milk sometimes at snacks when they were around 11 months just to get used to the flavor. There are any number of ways to switch. Some moms mix the formula nd milk a little at a time and some just switch cold turkey.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Around 11 moths I started getting my kids used to milk a little at a time, my DD had it mixed with water since she hated formula and my DS I mixed his with formula to get him used to it.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• You are supposed to give formula thru 1yr. I introduced different juices after 6mos. There are so many different ones you should be able to find something he likes. Try pear, my kids loved it!!
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 12:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• 12 Months.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• W.h.o. *world health org* recommends you breastfeed for at least 2 years, so I would assume if you are formula feeding, you should do so for at least 2 years as well.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• from what i remember around 11 months
    19angie74

Answer by 19angie74 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Pediatricians usually recommend waiting until 12 months to switch to whole milk because that's about when babies' digestive systems are able to handle it and because that's when real food (rather than milk) provides most of the nutrients the kid needs. Talk to your pediatrician if you have any concerns (s/he knows your son's health better than anyone here). To introduce it, you can try mixing it with formula a little more each day or just going cold turkey. Some moms try flavoring the milk with chocolate or strawberry but then you risk having a kid who needs flavored milk. And go ahead and offer him some juice or water anytime after 6 months (just to taste). He might like it. Don't worry if your son doesn't like milk at first. He can get the dairy from cheese or yogurt, and many kids learn to like milk later. Have fun!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My DDs Drntold me that from 12 months on up, she should be drinking whole milk. And the day after her birthday, we switched the formula for milk, and we haven't looked back. I would suggest just trying that out. And if you can't get him to drink regular milk. Don't flavor it. Your child doesn't know what chocolate or strawberry milk is yet, so I wouldn't introduce him to that now, and have him hooked on sugar filled drinks. Just keep giving him the plain milk, cheese, and yogurt.. Eventually, he will cone around.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2011