What would you do in this situation? You work for a concession stand and the amount of money you took in doesn't add up to what the register says...

but you know that you are not a thief but added something then hit cancel sale and wonder if it didn't really take it off like it should of. But now feel like you are being watched all the time. You have worked at convience stores managed them, worked at other places handling money like fast food and never had a problem and they told you that there had never een any problems in the past several months you were right on with the register
They only asked if there was money somewhere else or just in the bag. The money gets put into a zip money bag that isn't locked and then stuck into a semi safe with a key but everyone knows where the key is always at everyone can get into the room that it's at.
Would you not fret over it
Tell them to shove their job
Or just keep going like nothing has happened?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• If it wasn't a big amount and only happened once I don't think it would be a big deal, they have to realize that their money is not very safe stored in a zipper money bag.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• i would not worry about it if it was only a little bit and only happened once, it will blow over in time.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• All the managers need to do is conduct a simple audit on the receipts! Do you have an employee number that you need to enter before conducting a POS transaction? If so, then it will be easy to find your mistake and learn from it! If not, I would not work there! I would refuse to work anywhere in which I handled money that I could not PROVE my receipts at the end of the day! I am an honest employee, but sadly, not everyone else is! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Print out a log of everything that was purchased, can you do that?
    If so, then go through the log and calculate what was purchased.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• $300 is alot of money- that is not just giving a customer too much change back. Someone is stealing. They need to work out a better system to deal w/ their $. If you quit right away, they may suspect you did it. Are their cameras? If they have security cameras, they can see who was near the $ besides the clerk. Good luck.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• depends on how badly I needed the job I suppose ! if I could easily and quickly get a replacement job I'd leave. I'd hate to be judged/watched unfairly.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Telling them to "shove their job" makes you look 100 times more guilty than if you stay
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I'd let your employer decide how they are going to handle it. I've worked at places that didn't care if the til was off. I've worked at others where it had to be down to the penny accurate. But like you said they have cameras up. I'm sure they can figure out that you didn't take the money.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• It's over $300.00 so it is kind of a big deal yet anyone can have access to it including the maintence men even the person who counts the money could of taken it who knows. I do not need this job as I have a fulltime job I only took it because someone made me feel guilty for them having to be there all the time. I hate that there is no computer print out to show what I made and what I should have and I am smarter then ringing something up and not putting the money in there if I was going to steal it wouldn't of been rung up. I hate that everyone has access to where the money is at all times.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• He says he's looked and looked and yes I have a employee # and he can't figure out what happened I really think it was when I rang up 25 kids and then 4 adults and then hit cancel that's about the same amount of money as they had coupons I didn't know about
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2011