Spinoff DADT ~ Multi-part Question

Yesterday I created a hypothetical scenario for sake of discussion. The reply startled me and made me think of a few other things.

Please read scenario and see questions to follow:
Tom & John have been in the same company; same bunk; shared same hygiene facilities; same 'fox hole' for years - now after DADT repeal (and all the kinks worked out); they come home from deployment and Tom sees John hug & kiss his partner when they come into the air terminal.
While Tom might be momentarily uncomfortable; upon reflection is he really going to view John as *less* than he did 2 weeks earlier when he had his back in the line of fire?

The reply was:
Honestly, "John" will probably get the crap beat out of him. This is one of my husband's worries. It won't be right, but military code runs deep.

*****
It is my belief that the owner of this reply did not in any way mean to imply that her husband would be the one 'beating the crap' out of anyone else. But it would be 'other soldiers' doing things like this.

Questions:
*If your spouse is military - would he feel the need to 'beat' up a fellow soldier for being homosexual; regardless of their history together?
*What about your sons or daughters in the military; do you think it would be them beating up others?
*If not 'your' spouse/child (as I suspect will be the answers) then who are these soldiers that will?
*Do you think that it is highly likely to occur often or it is more about 'big talk'?

*****
I admit perhaps I have unrealistic ideas of people. When I think of men & women who voluntarily join the military; I think of people who are a little nobler, a little more honorable than the rest of us. It is disappointing and saddens me to think that adult men & women would really physically attack someone who hours ago was their friend simply because they have different sexual attractions...I'd like to keep my naivety intact and think it's more about show and 'big talk' than will actually occur...

(sorry I know it's long)

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• There will be instances of abuse. They are all human soldier or not.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I am sorry if my answer startled you OP. I was being honest and sometimes honesty is brutal. You are correct in your assumption about my husband, he would never participate in this type of activity.

Reality is reality, people are people. We see examples of this type of thing all the time outside of the military. It is to be expected you would find it in the military as well.

I am in no way condoning this..I am just saying it wouldn't be prudent if we didn't expect it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• There may be instances of abuse. There may not. Much depends on the make-up of their unit. If you spend time with/interview "the troops" most of them don't care as long as their co-workers are doing their job. And this has undergone some change. The great majority of "the troops" are under the age of 40, and more "modern" or "tolerant" than the previous generation.

I base most of the above on what I've seen and read, and on my husband and his co-workers on base. I don't personally know anyone who would beat someone up. Unfortunately, I do know a few that would make crude jokes and comments.
    irishcoffee

Answer by irishcoffee at 10:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I would *hope* that the men and women of our military would be professional enough to do their jobs.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 10:05 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• hmmm - too long of a question; not controversial enough; or *most* don't know how to answer?? Interesting...

I'm not quite naive enough to think there would be "no" altercations; but those IDK I envision being between service members that have no 'history' together that maybe run into each other on base somewhere and some punk runs his mouth and it turns into something more...and few & far between rather than the 'normal' reaction.

It just seems to me to be 'normal' for guys to talk big like 'Oh well if I run into one of 'them' I'll knock their teeth down their throat' but then when actually faced with the situation ... little to nothing happens because well we are talking about adults ... I just can't wrap my head around sexual orientation being enough to provoke an physical attack on another person...
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Jan. 3, 2011