Is there any possibilities of a ultrasound not being 100% accurate?

At 17 weeks, the technician told me that its never 100% but she could see something between the legs of the baby, and its most likely his testicles but she said it could also be the umbilical chord.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• most definitely
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• yes, it's true they are not a 100%. My mil thought her daughter was a boy and bought all boy things and had a boys name all picked out the nursery done in boy themes... She had to return everything and buy girl stuff when she left the hospital lol
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 12:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• They're wrong a fair amount of the time... Well they've been wrong 2/6 with us.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 12:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I dont think the ultrasound is wrong but the tech and dr may being reading it wrong or missed something.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I am a mother of one and pregnan with my next. Lets just say the ultra sound tech said I was to be a boy when I was born and um ya NOT TRUE!!!! Depending on the position of the baby and where the uterus and umbilical cord is can lower the chances of seeing things that arent there.
    angelfromcali21

Answer by angelfromcali21 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Yup there is no 100% till baby is born. Hubby cousin had a baby before us in Nov. They were told a girl and had a boy.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• A friend of mine was told she was having a boy. The dad was so excited. They decorated the room sport themed and bought a little baseball mitt and purchased all very boy, sport themed clothing.
    Yeah, it was a girl.
    She does love sports, though.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• YES YES and YES again they can be wrong. A friend was told a boy during 3 different ultrasound and she now has a healthy little GIRL.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Immediately after the ultrasound tech said she saw a boy, she told us not to go out and buy all blue because nothing is 100% until the baby is born and the doctor sees for himself. In our case, she was right, but as you can see from the above posters, it can be wrong.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 12:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• There is not 100% until the baby is born. (unless you have amniocentesis then they can tell you what the baby is)

Anonymous