Are your kids bilingual Spanish?

What kind of DVD's/shows do they watch in Spanish? Especially for preschool/word learning type stuff?

Teaching DS Spanish - but I'm not fluent! Just looking for fun shows he can watch that he'll learn vocab from without overwhelming him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Just for Fun

• NO! We speak English because we live in America!

Anonymous

• Oh for crying out Pete. Nothing wrong with being BI lingual - meaning you know English AND another language! In fact, it's better if they do! And yes, I agree people should know English because we live in America, but with the rise in numbers of people of Latino descent it can't hurt to know Spanish as well.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Yes, both of my girls are. We are currently residing in Mexico so they are surrounded by the language which is the fastest way for them to pick it up. Dora and Diego have SOME Spanish, but not enough. All the cartoons and stuff down here are in Spanish and I know that's helped my 5 year old catch on a great deal. You can get children's books in Spanish, flash cards, toys that speak Spanish, etc. Google for learning materials, I'm sure there's quite a bit out there. Start off with simple things like colors, numbers, animals, house hold objects, foods.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Haha, we need to feel bad for the poster's like the first anonymous. Her children won't have better job opportunities and better wages because of her ignorance.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I wasn't going to post on this one because it is a very touchy subject but I don't think it's all right to call a poster ignorant. Here, in the exact middle of the country not even by the border, you can't get a job anymore if you don't speak Spanish. This is not a joke or an overstatement. It is discrimination but it's not politically correct to say it. And by the way, it should be worrisome that jobs depend on having to learn another language because immigrants from a certain country won't bother to learn English.
    Anonymous

• NO mine aren't. If they are to be bi-lingual I would wish that it would be with GERMAN as my family is from Germany and I would want them to speak that! Unfortunately there are no childrens shows that speak German, and the schools around here don't teach it, and they don't cater to German speaking people here...... so unfortunately my children are out of luck!
    Anonymous

• Is everyone assuming I'm hispanic?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Both of my sons are bilingual.I am fluent in spanish so its an advantage for them.Even tho we live in the U.S.,I want my kids to speak another language.What I do for them to learn more spanish it's set up movies such as shrek,cars,etc. in spanish.its easy and they love it.One day they watch the movie in english and the next day day in spanish...

mymartinez

Answer by mymartinez at 1:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• No, because I believe the Spanish speaking people who move here should learn to speak our language... not the other way around. I am not opposed to them learning another language, but it should not be dictated by the ignorance of others who move here and don't adapt to our ways. What about Chinese, Japanese, German, French, Russian... why not have shows in those languages too??

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I've been teaching my kids French since they were born. I took French in high school. Plus, our language is 65% French, so it is easy to learn. There are other languages to be bi-lingual with than Spanish.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2011