Does your child bring home papers from school?

With school starting again tomorrow, I am wondering what I can do go get my 6 year old to bring her papers home from school. I missed conferences because the paper was in her locker for weeks. There were a bunch of other papers also. I admit it was my fault also because I didnt call the teacher, but I kept thinking I would get a note like I usually do.

Suggestions or advice?

MizzNicole

Asked by MizzNicole at 12:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You might have to talk to the teacher about that as well as your child. My kids bring home alot of papers too.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Hmm. We homeschool now, but when DS went to public for K they simply brought home papers every week in their "weekly folder." I think they did this for upper grades too. This way, parents knew what day of the week stuff was coming home, and all the stuff was in one place. This included, all pre-printed announcement sheets, flyers, and any work they did throughout the week. Maybe you and the teacher could work something out like this.
    Anonymous

• Well she alreasy has a flder she is supposed to bring home everyday with her homework and papers. She "forgets" it and her homework (im trying to come up with a way to discipline her for this), along with the other papers.
    MizzNicole

Comment by MizzNicole (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• We also homeschool now, but many teacher's have a classroom website or will send out notes via email (I did both when I taught) to keep parents in the loop. I'm surprised that there are not consquences at school for your daughter not bringing home her folder. You might want to check with the teacher on this. I would remind my girls when they got in the car when I would pick them up from school about their folders and notes, and half the time they would have to go back. They had sticker charts when they were little to remind them of all they were supposed to do, we added school papers to the list and they got to put a sticker on for that. 50 stickers = picking a fun activity from the prize jar (trip to the park, play on the computer, happy meal, etc).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Talk to her teacher about keeping a daily communication folder in her bag at all times. If she is handed a paper to go home it is to be put in the folder in her bag right then. My son has to have this or I would never get anything...ever.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I would call the teacher. Usually the teacher would call if there was anything important that is missing. I have a conference scheduled for my daughter and they sent it in her bagpack AND mailed it to me (a total waste of paper because I stay on top of those things). But they want to make sure I will be there, I guess. Yes, I will be there. LOL.
    KenKie

Answer by KenKie at 2:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Yes, everything that goes on is sent home. Also, I have the teacher's phone number, announcements are put up on the school website, etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• my daughter learned to bring home papers when she was 7 yrs old because she had earned a special thing (bowling) with the teacher and she missed it because she didn't bring home the paper.
    momandytai

Answer by momandytai at 7:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My little one bring home more papers then I would ever care for her to bring home. And her teacher makes sure that they all have their cubbies cleaned out before heading home.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:35 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• our school has the kids bring in go home folders at the beginning of the year, They each have "mailboxes" in the classroom. All paperwork in the 'mailbox' needs to go int he go home folder to bring to mom and dad.
    You could also email the teacher weekly
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2011