What is genetic mirroring?

1happy_mommy

Asked by 1happy_mommy at 2:28 AM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Adoption

• 'Roussau's genetic mirror theory'. This theory suggest that everyone in this world has a mirror image somewhere in the world, in other word a 'twin'.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• In adoption it's important for self esteem. It involves looks and natural ability. Imagine the child of low IQ whose raised by Phd's, or the creative child raised in a family with 3 generations of football stars.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 11:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I have an example of this and how important it can be - I have always used writing in some form or another and it has always been a way of healing for me to put my words down in a journal or into poems, etc. When I was growing up, I was able to relate this part of me to my Irish grandfather who was the same way. My mom dug up and shared some of his early writing with me and would constantly tell me how I reminded her of her father - my grandfather.
    My son who I lost to adoption, on the other hand, also has used his writing for many things, including getting his feelings out but his afamily not only did not encourage this trait, some would discourage him from this by telling him he was a "sissy" or acting too much like a female by using writing to get out his feelings.
    Unlike with my childhood, nobody was there for him to see and compare himself to.
    casjoh

Answer by casjoh at 3:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Cont . . . And because of this, while I have always been proud of my writing and my ability to use my words to paint a picture or portray a feeling, he spent his childhood ashamed of this same trait and thought himself somehow messed up by carrying the need to use writing to share his feelings.
    My experience with my writing was healthy and encouraged while his was one where he felt he needed to keep it secret and not let others know what he was doing because it wasn't understood or known that it came to him naturally through his bfamily.
    casjoh

Answer by casjoh at 3:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• We see 'mirroring' all the time in families never separated by adoption and in reunion. 'Mirroring' comes in all different shapes, ways and forms. A hairline, a specific shape to a body part that one or more family members share, the common attribute for music, careers, etc., a natural tendency to walk a certain way. Natural families see, feel 'mirroring' many times without even being conscious of the mirroring. Point in fact.. my daughter's (lost to adoption)and my hands are complete duplicates of each others (just mine are older), she would become a doctor, her sister (my raised daughter) would become a Registered Nurse, both in the same field.
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 9:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• cont.
    One of my younger brothers, who's father died when he was 5 yrs old..as an adult walks exactly the same as his father, 2 of my sisters both twist their hair in the same exact way ( I don't twist at all). My one son as many of the same attributes as his maternal grandmother (as does 2 other grandsons). Actually I could state family 'mirroring' from my own family and extended family on quite a few points. The list is quite long. My daughter (lost to adoption) would once say to me.."When I was a teen-ager I would look in the mirror and ask myself 'Who are you'? She was placed with an adoptive family where the differences were quite noticable on all levels..she truly must have stood out like a 'sore thumb' in her adoptive family. Not so in her biological family.
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 9:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• cont.
    'Mirroring' is very important in the development of the child..it tells the child where he/she belongs, good, bad or indifferent..in one word, a very important word .. 'Roots'. I may not have explained this very well, but I think you get my drift. There is quite a bit of research on 'mirroring' in regards to the adopted child/biological child and the importance in the development in said child.
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 9:26 PM on Nov. 11, 2008