Anyone else sending a 'child' back to college, now that the break is closing?

My son came home with 4 loads of laundry and a long list of homemade favorites he wanted me to cook. He kept me hopping; but now that it's time to take him back to school, I'm recalling the times when I found myself in his empty bedroom -- holding his pillow close, smelling his scent and missing him deeply.

Parenthood IS a real roller-coaster ride. :-)

ss_mom

Asked by ss_mom at 1:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• My kids aren't old enough for that yet, but you sound like an excellent mommy, even now. :)
    FuzzybugsMommy

Answer by FuzzybugsMommy at 1:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I went through all of that three times, and each time I thought it would get better, but it doesn't. Yes, it is roller coaster ride in more ways than one.

Answer by older at 3:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My 19yo doesn't go back to college until the 14th but he's only an hour away and we see him every weekend...he comes here every other weekend and we go to see him on the other weekends & he'll be home for Spring Break in March & for summer break in May. Tomorrow, however, I am taking my 20yo soldier son to the airport and he's off to AIT (his school for his job) and I have no clue when he'll be home again...probably not for 6-8 mos. or at least that's what I am hoping for because whenever he does come home it will be because he's getting ready to deploy. I have been weepy all day and am dreading tomorrow.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• yep my 20 y/o daughter leaves Fri. She attends college 650 miles away.The time flies by when she is here and she actually has a life outside of us catching up with friends home from college ...damn it for her having friends...kidding...about 98% lol.She is my second and it isn't easier to send her back to college than it was my first..

tracylynnr67 my heart is with you.My oldest came home for Christmas for 2 weeks in 08 should have known with such a long vacation.He told us on the 26th of that that he would deploy that Feb. The good news is his Capt career course had him have a pcs to 3 hours away from us.So he was home from deployment and living close to home this Christmas..Cry on my shoulder any time you need.It is hard to have our beloved children,always our children no matter their age, so far away for so long training for deployment.Take care.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:40 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• drfink, the large majority of the military comes home in Dec. from around the 16th-18th until Jan 1st-3rd. That's why it's referred to as Exodus, because it's a mass Exodus of sorts. Military bases go to minimal staffing the week before Christmas until right after the new year. It has NOTHING to do with anyone deploying. My 33yo daughter has been in for 15 years and she has always come home in Dec. when she's been state side. She has deployed three times and each time she came home 4 mos. before deployment, not 8-10 mos. before.
    Anonymous