What do you think of parents who...

who subject the rest of us to their child(ren)'s public melt-downs? I would be embarassed & have actually left a cart-full of stuff (sorry to the stocker) when my kids began their crap. Some parents seem oblivious or tune out the ear-piercing screaming- not me.

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• As a former retail supervisor I'd rather listen to your kid scream than waste man-hours on restocking your stuff!!
    All kids melt down, get over it!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Because they don't make a special needs Wal-Mart and I have to buy my stuff somewhere. I am so sorry that MY child bothers you so. I suggest an ipod for your shopping pleasure.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I don't think anything. All kids have public melt downs and its not the parents fault. The best way to get children from having them is to ignore them, which is something you should do instead of judge them. You have no idea why the child is having a melt down. It could because they can't have their way and throwing a fit in public on purpose.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I never had kids with melt downs, but others who have them don't bother me...I know how kids are and i can relate, mine had their melt downs at home!

Answer by older at 1:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I dont try and judge. I know for instance there are single moms out there who have to get groceries and maybe dont have any help at home to watch their 2 or 3 yr old child and so they are there for food or goods to care for themselves and their child(ren). My pet peeve is going to a restaurant and seeing a family with 2 or 3 kids who just let then run around a restaurant. That is more annoying to me and uncalled for.

Answer by gemgem at 1:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I agree mommy of two388... My children would have one once in a while when they were little. For my daughter it was satisfying control to have one and have me leave my buggy and go home so i didn't i ignored and stood my ground and she respected me more knowing I ws the adult in charge!also I would take my son into store knowing and expecting this to happen.He has autism(high functioning) and didn't tolerate crowds of people well also dur to his sensory processing disorder. I had to exposer him to help him...drs orders. It was a form of therapy I never had a buggy full when i took him however i wouldn't leave just because he was subjecting anyone else to this! My son was my priority- not other peoples feelings! Proud to say when he goes with me now we have no meltdowns- i don't have to pick him up off the floor anymore. He actually enjoys short trips because i have taught him coping skills---YES AT THE HANDS OF OTHER SHOPPERS!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I pay little attention to it because mine were little once and the older one got us tossed from two stores he was about to do it again and I got down on the floor and screamed as well he stopped stood up looked at me put his head down and said yes ma,am it stopped but I imagine how all of those people who had to listen to it felt and do not judge maybe they were just like me trying to get from point a to point be with no f in between.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Because if I feed into my 3 yr olds melt downs she get louder and it last longer. Parents pick there battles. We have no clue why the child is acting this way and/or if like mine. It could get worse if you give attention to it. Sometimes it is best to just ignore it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Where is your common curiosity. I agree take a ipod if kids bother you so bad. Most of us dont have the luxury of either leaving or kids at home or having "perfect" kids. My kids have never had a melt down but I dont sit there and judge the mothers of the kids that do. Most stores now offer online shopping and grocery delivery do that so our kids wont bother you,
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My son has melt-downs, and I try as best i can to ignore it, but when it gets too crazy, that's when I take him out or to the bathroom. It's not easy on us parents either. and it's like alot of siggies say, those children may be autistic, so I try not to judge.
    TXColter

Answer by TXColter at 1:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2011