Captain of USS Enterprise ( NAVY) produces and showed raunchy videos while deployed, thoughts?

Owen Honors, Captain of the Norfolk-based USS Enterprise, was revealed as the producer of a series of "raunchy" videos made aboard the Navy carrier several years ago in a report released by the Virginian-Pilot on Saturday.

Filmed in 2006 and 2007 when Honors was the Enterprises's executive officer, the clips were reportedly shown to 6,000 sailors and U.S. Marines on the ship as part of what was called "XO Movie Night."

The Pilot reports:

In one scene, two female Navy sailors stand in a shower stall aboard the aircraft carrier, pretending to wash each other. They joke about how they should get six minutes under the water instead of the mandated three.
In other skits, sailors parade in drag, use anti-gay slurs, and simulate masturbation and a rectal exam. Another scene implies that an officer is having sex in his stateroom with a donkey.

According to the Virginia-based outlet, the videos were made with government equipment. Some were reportedly produced at times when the ship was actively deployed to help the country's war efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Sailors, who declined to be identified by name, indicated to the Pilot that the footage in question was broadcast on a weekly basis aboard the ship.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:39 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Honors, who is expected to deploy in upcoming weeks, suggests in the videos that his intent in generating the content was for entertainment purposes. The Pilot reports that the clips drew complaints from female sailors aboard the carrier who found the material offensive.

The Navy issued a statement on the matter appearing to downplay any hint of controversy.

"The videos were intended to be humorous skits focusing the crew's attention on specific issues such as port visits, traffic safety, water conservation, ship cleanliness, etc," said a written statement according to the Pilot.

Honors himself acknowledges in one clip the controversial nature of the videos. "Over the years I've gotten several complaints about inappropriate materials in these videos," he says. "Never to me personally but, gutlessly, through other channels."

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• As a Navy wife that makes me sick. They have much more very important things to do then make those videos. That Captain should be ashamed of himself.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I agree wih mommyoftwo
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Wow, as a former Naval Officer's wife I find this absolutely unacceptable and I can't believe that this Captain was dumb enough to do something this ridiculous!
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 1:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think he is in trouble now!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I don't care or think it is that big of a deal. Some like to blow things up bigger than they are though. Sigh.
    Anonymous

• Someone should've told him - he's a captain, not a filmmaker
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• *shaking my head.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Nothing new.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2011