If you are homophobic because the bible (allegedly) tells you so, do you also think eating shellfish is a sin and enjoy keeping slaves?

Just wondering if those who use the Bible to validate their prejudices also follow ALL Old Testament law. Do you eat shellfish? Do you keep slaves? Do you practice ritual human sacrifice? Do you think rape is an acceptable practice against your enemies? All of these things are in the Old Testament and are condoned by God. Christians are supposed to follow the teachings of Christ, who threw out all Old Testament law and never once mentioned homosexuality being wrong. (Paul mentioned homosexuality, but Jesus did not!) Just wondering if you truly follow the Bible or not.

feministmama

Asked by feministmama at 2:55 AM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Uhh, I don't follow the bible..but, it isn't to say that it's not totally true or false..I kind of believe in some of what it says..as in thou shalt not kill, commit adultry , hurt another human being,steal, etc...these make great sense to me...but, I am more an "eclectic" ..as in I believe in my own religious beliefs..and I am also a searcher and researcher..so, I learn as I go along!

ladyk
    ladyk99

Answer by ladyk99 at 3:04 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• The old testament is what the Jews follow. Christians follow the rules of the new testament and only use the old testament as a point of reference. The new testament speaks against homosexuality.

If you wanted to start an intelligent argument where you might throw the bible back in someones face, you might as why people are so concerned with other people's lives when they should be focusing on their own. Maybe even a little, "who ever here has no sin, cast the first stone".

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Homophobia-irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals. I don't have any fear, aversion, nor do I discriminate against homosexual PERSONS. I do have an aversion to the SIN. Christians are supposed to hate all sin, but love people. Love does not condone sin because sin brings about death.

cont...
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• 1.I follow a kosher diet- no pork, shellfish, catfish,ravens, buzzard nor blood.
    2.The Bible doesn't condone ritual HUMAN sacrifice-go read it again, within context,with a Bible dictionary.
    3. The bible doesn't condone rape-read it with a Bible dictionary, within context.
    4. Study the history of slavery in the OT days. God gave instructions on how slaves were to be treated. Slavery was not based on the color of one's skin, nor was an act of oppression and hatred.
    5. Christ did not "throw out" the entire OT law. He fulfilled it. (Matthew 5:17-18)
    6.Christ didn't mention pedophilia either, but He did mention that marriage was between a man and woman. (Matthew 19:4-6)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:10 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• 7. Christians are supposed to follow all Scripture, not just the NT.

2 Timothy 3:16,17-- All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:18 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I would like to see references as to where the NT speaks about homosexuality.

And it's awfully convenient that most of the NT to Christians is meaningless, since it has been "fulfilled" except for THAT part.

Hypocritical.
    nobakecheezcake

Answer by nobakecheezcake at 7:04 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Correction - *most* Christians
    nobakecheezcake

Answer by nobakecheezcake at 7:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Homosexuality in the NT (read with a Bible dictionary)--

Romans 1:26-27 26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections:for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:28 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I Corinthians 6:9,10~~9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:30 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I agree with Lexylex 100%. The Old Testament is not just a reference point. It is just as valid today for the tribes of Israel as it was 6000 years ago.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 8:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2008