Songs like Dolly Parton's "Jolene" and Loretta Lynn's "You ain't woman enough to take my man" always confused me...why go after the "other woman" instead of the two-timin' scumbag cheating on you?

I mean...I can understand if she knew your man was spoken for and pursued regardless, that's one thing.

But...if the man lied to the 2nd woman about the 1st woman...why take it out on the 2nd woman?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• Id say in both their cases they were speaking from their own experiences and the women who went after their men knew they were married so...........
    I have been cheated on and knew that the other woman I dealt with knew my ex was married, had kids, and in fact knew I was pregnant when she pursued him. I still dumped him but told her I would knock her teeth down her throat. I am an equal opportunity hater when it comes to cheaters. I hate the man and the other woman.

Answer by gemgem at 2:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Those songs were made back in the day when women were suppose to stand by their man or it would look bad on them not the man that cheated on her. Listen to the songs they have now like Before he Cheats, Kerosene, I want you to know (not country) all of those are going after the cheating man.
    Some women believe better or for worse and don't ever think their man did wrong and thinks that if it wasn't for the other woman getting in the way and flirting their man would have never stepped out on them.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I've wondered the same thing. Never made any sense to me, especially if you don't know the other woman.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I have always thought the same thing. Why get mad at the woman? She's not the one cheating on you! Lol!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think mommy_of_two got it right. There was a stigma about leaving a cheater, about divorce in general.

This whole post makes me think of the Joey and Rory song "cheater cheater". :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• clappingAMEN!

Answer by admckenzie at 4:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• i wouldn't and didn't. check out carrie underwood's before he cheats
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I call it The Daniece Syndrome. I have a gf, so named, who was always "dating" losers who had baby-mamas, usually 2 or 3. They fought constantly over who he was "with" and how much time he should spend with any of them...despite the fact he owed (not paid) CS to each gal. These men were, and probably still are, only worth the change they carried in their car..but i may be giving credit where it doesn't exist. Why were they attracted to men like that in the first place, is beyond my comprehension, but I suspect it involves self-esteem and dare I say, absent-father's of the very women, like my Daniece, who chased them.
    It's like she didn't want a man who was free&clear available for her. There always has to be drama, conflict, and some weird competition with another woman...for a POS man.
    I still don't get it. And she's not from 40yrs ago-heck, she's just 32 now!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• there was a double standard or stigma back then that you had to stand by your cheating husband side whether right or wrong. I'm glad the times have changed becuase under no circumstance should a woman have to deal with or keep dealing with a cheating husband. I also like the fact that you can sue the woman who broke up your marriage and family.
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• yeah true..i like Carie Underwood before he cheats.....great song. if u havent heard it u should u tube it.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 5:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2011