where to start when starting a garden?

I'd really like to start a garden once the winter is passed. I'm new at all this so I dont even really know where to start! I'm still not quite set on what type of garden, but most likely veggies and herbs. I live in south georgia.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I love gardening so if you ever want to talk about it you can pm me =) I think the first place to start would be to find a spot that will get enough sun for whatever you want to grow, living in GA you will need will need to find a spot that can be reached by a water hose or sprinkler, then decide how large you want your garden, you might want to start out knid of small since it's your first time you can always expand it next year
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I'm in agreement with Liz, find a location first. Then you'll want to prepare the soil and probably fence it off in some way. A good garden center could help a lot with advice both on soil preparation for your area and cost/labor and pros/cons with different fencing materials. I, too would start small, with plants that are particularly easy to grow in your area.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2011