How old should you wait before getting a puppy for a kid?

sissy0604

Asked by sissy0604 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Pets

• Till they understand its not okay to hit them or pull their tail
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Our son was 2 and we got him his first puppy. Well, it was mine, but he loves him.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• After 3 years old maybe when he/she is around 4........My little brother once had a puppy when he was 2 and he hugged it to hard and dropped him a couple times and unfortunately, the poor thing did not last too long.
    babysavy9

Answer by babysavy9 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• our daughter was 1 but we got him as a pupppy and now we have our 1.5yr old and she loves him and doesnt do any mean things to him :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Honestly? Around 9-10 yrs old. Before that they really dont understand taking care of another life. They have to be able to walk them, treat them well, feed them, etc.

Answer by gemgem at 2:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think around 4 years old. By then they can understand not to beat on them or squeaze thier neck. My dd's 2 and she just can't understand that picking up small animals around the neck will hurt them no mattter how many times I try to explain it to her
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• We just got a new puppy and although the boys love her, she isn't "their" dog. To me, it's not your dog until you take complete care of it. Obviously my 1 and 4 yo's aren't responsible enough for that yet! So dont get a dog without the understanding that YOU are the primary poop-picker-upper regardless of who you say the dog is for! ;)
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think if you get a pet to your children 10, maybe 16 it will be your pet. I think it is really good a pet in the home. Your children can get used to them. And they can learn how to feed, cuddle, walk with a pet. It teaches them responsibility continuously. And it teaches them friendship, love, happiness. And it is easier to laugh as well if you have a pet. But the age under 5 you have to be very careful. Because the children can't really understand the different between a cuddly toy and a real dog or cat. Except when those poor things bite them. So it is really important to be aware of to show the difference between a pet and a toy. And be on the safe side of the things.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 2:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• we got a puppy before our kds were born...best thing
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• For the child like it is theirs and they are responsible? 10-15 depending on the child. A family pet for everyone to care for? Anytime!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2011