My toddler is 2yrs old and is throwing fits and is very rebelious right now what is a way I can get him to be not so rebelious at such a young age?

He walks away, tells me no when I tell him to stop something . And it seems like Ive tried every type of discipline. Please help me.

jessicasaffel88

Asked by jessicasaffel88 at 3:40 AM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just consisteny and patience. He's at that age when he's trying to test the limits. Once he sees he can't get what he wants, he'll settle down. They don't call it the terrible twos for nothing!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 4:22 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My daughter jsut turned 2 yesterday and I am starting to hear "no" from her more often these days. My girlfriends daughter will be soon. She is in the terrible two stage and I mean tantrums out the waaazooo. If my friend tells her no or something she will throw herself to the floor. Even in the middle of Wal-Mart..it does not matter then she will crwal around on the dirty floor. My girlfriend just starts to walk away and tells her bye. Of course she would not leave her kid BUT she gets up and follows behind her....So hopefull it is a phaze that will pass soon :-(
    Mazarati_2003

Answer by Mazarati_2003 at 5:18 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Structure anf consistency. Don't take no for an answer. For example if you tell him to put something away and he doesn't then make him do it. Take him by the hand, have that hand pick up the toy, and then walk him over to where it goes. Try to have routines durring the day. Things like a craft project that's age appropriate done at a certain time of the day for example.

Nothing is going to make it go away 100%. He's testing you, seeing what his limits are. It's also the age. The terrible twos are called such for a reason. lol
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 5:43 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• We let our children know that a fit are not an acceptable way to behave, nor will it get them what they want. Fits are not allowed in the public rooms of our home. If there is a fit going on, we pick them up calmly, and remove them to their room saying, "No fits allowed, you can come out when you are calm". Then we leave the door almost closed (or closed if they know how to open it), and let them get their frustration out in their own place.
    Let me warn you that it is a lot of work up front, but pays off in the long run. You just have to be consistent. cont...
    kar8abun

Answer by kar8abun at 11:23 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Our first child had tantrums where he would hurt himself, and we would have to hold him down, telling him calmly that fits are not allowed. It sounds extreme, but he would bang his head on the floor, etc... It ticked me off and terrified me at the same time.
    My MIL was a child-development teacher & she said it was a battle of wills, that we needed to take the battle out of the equation & teach him better coping mechanisms. Kids can understand a lot at this age, but cannot communicate their wants or needs very well, leading to frustration and then anger (as we all know too well I bet!). I hope this helps. It doesn't work for everyone, but most people I know who have used this method have found it works. I wish you patience and luck! :D
    kar8abun

Answer by kar8abun at 11:28 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Most kids that age do not know that NO means NO. They hear the word so much that they just start using it. They don't understand it. Stop giving your two year old verbal instructions alone. Use words and actions...meaning remove him from the area. You are mom, pick him up and move him. If he fights you, grab his hands, look into his cute eyes and say, MOM SAID NO and NO means NO. Do not be wishy washy. Be consistant.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 11, 2008