Back to school tomorrow (part 2 of 2)

the comment part:
When Winter break began I made myself, my kindergartner's teacher, my husband, etc etc a lot of promises. We'd do his phonics book every day, he'd finish learning to tie his shoes, improve his reading enough to get bumped up a level in their reading groups, etc. However all we did with down time is play games, sled, make forts and snowballs, visit family, have sleepovers and movie dates, and other non scholastic drivel.

the question part:
Is it OK that I feel bad or is it my own fault? If we hadn't gone to see "Yogi" we may have mastered shoe tying, and other such trade offs. I feel sad/crappy.... disappointed in myself!!!!

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in

• It's called Christmas break for a reason.. Don't feel bad, he is in kindergarten.. Have fun, take a break and enjoy....
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• It's called VACATION for a reason - it's good that your song enjoyed it! I never expected my little guys to do extra work over holiday breaks, but to enjoy their time with family. Don't be hard on yourself over this, it's good for him to get a break. Start working with him on tying his shoes in the afternoons when he gets home and maybe do a phonics page after dinner in the evenings, but most importantly, let him enjoy being a kid. If learning is fun, kids will want to do it!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Mines in kinder too and her teacher didnt ask us to do anything with her over break. I think she knew better lol. She did send some workbooks and a note saying we could do them with her, or use them to color, or throw them away, whatever we wanted. I think making them do work over Christmas break just A.) doesnt work and B) shouldnt be asked to be done in the first place.

Answer by gemgem at 2:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• A few years ago one of mine had a lo of work to do over the break,, it took almost 1 hour a day, it totally sucked, we got it done and the teacher was surprised ,she admitted that she didn't think it would get done, back in your face nasty teacher!!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I have no guilt for not practicing math facts or phonics with my boys. They were enjoying their vacation! It's okay, I promise! You made the most of your precious time with your kids, that is not a waste in my book.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 8:29 PM on Jan. 2, 2011