Toddler bed to big bed...

When do you think its times for a bigger bed? My son is 29 months and really tall... couldnt it be time?

kiansmom0423

Asked by kiansmom0423 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Well, it's weird how we've had to do it with our two boys, since they are 13 months apart.
    On his 2nd birthday, my oldest got the toddler bed.
    On his 3rd birthday, he moved into a regular twin bed. A month later, my youngest moved into the toddler bed on his 2nd birthday.
    So, on his 3rd birthday, he'll move into a regular twin bed, and the toddler bed will go to a friend who has a boy about to turn 2.

I suppose that's not how it works in most homes, but ours is far from being like most homes! LOL
    Other than that, I say that if you think he's ready, then try it out. I have a big body pillow I had laid on the floor beside the twin bed in case my son fell out.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 3:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My boys also went from a crib to a full-sized bed when they were 24 months--bed with box spring was about 14 inches off the floor, one long side was pushed against one wall and it had a head and foot board, plus we used a mesh side rail. So it was no different than a large daybed.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• We never did the toddler beds. We put them straight into twin or double beds.
    If you feel he's too small for the toddler bed, put him in a twin bed.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• We never used a toddler bed with my son, he went from the crib to a twin mattress on the floor to the twin on the box spring.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• If the bed is to small for him than change it. Don't make an origami from poor child. Mhaw:P Mom2Jack04 I agree with the matrac:) They can't fall too big from it:P Actually my favourite is this bad, you can rock and pat on them so well. 10 minutes and all toddly-modly are asleep.

http://www.amazon.com/Regalo-Cot-Portable-Royal-Blue/dp/B000H1MRJO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1293999681&sr=8-3

These king of beds are the best if you don't have huge place in the children's room or you want to move the bed sometimes (like the kid is sick and you want him to sleep downstairs or just lie down while you are doing something else in the room. It is like a traveling cod just for toddlers:)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 3:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I never had a toddler bed either both of my girls went straight to a twin. I would think as soon as a your toddler out grows the toddler bed then it's time to switch to a twin or bigger.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I decided it was time for a regular bed when my daughter kept taking the mattress off and making it into a slide of the back of the bed. But if the are really close to the bottom of the bed then it could be time.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• There's no need for a toddler bed at all but if you use one you can transfer them whenever you want. My oldest slept in her toddler bed until she was 6 because, one, she was small enough to fit and, two, we didn't have money for a twin bed for her. We ended up getting her a junior bed from IKEA. They are longer than a toddler bed but a little narrower (not as big as a twin). She's 10 and still uses it. My older son went straight from the crib to a twin mattress on the floor when he was 20 months (still sleeps in that bed). My 8yo slept in her toddler bed until she was 4 then got a junior bed (same time as the oldest). My 4yo went straight from the pack n play (never had a crib) to a junior bed at 23 months. My youngest (now 5mo) will go from a crib to a twin mattress on the floor or one of the girls' old junior beds.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My kids always moved straight from a crib to a twin/full size bed with rails around 2.

Answer by missanc at 4:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• my son just turned 6 and he's in this still (toddler sized, fits fine)  ... very old pic though. probably not even 2 1/2 in the photo.   we just put down a deposit on this twin sized bunk which is being custom made and will be here around feb 1st or so.  so he'll have been in a toddler bed a few months past age 6, kindergarten

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2011