HOW TO DEAL??????

Hi, my name is Cathy and Im a young mother to 4 boys all of young ages.Im not technically a single parent but it feels like it!!Im struggling a great deal with one of my twins.He is a very out of control child and Im not sure what to do.We have had to completely lock up cabinets (with metal things, not with the regular baby proofing) we have to lock up chairs,the fridge,other rooms of the house becasue he is so out of control.We had to do these things because if we didnt there were many occasions he would get up around 3 am and comlpetely destroy the house and cover it with food and anything he could get his hands on.And before you ask how could you not hear him understand he has been very quiet about it.Other things have been turning the oven and burners on on the stove, flooding our kitchen and bathroom and the most recent was throwing a napkin into a candle and it caught on fire (luckily we caught it on time) he is a very hyper child, cannot concentrate on ANYTHING, is very defiant, has no fear and nothing gets through to this child what so ever and unfortunately dad does not really see much of an issue so that is also a problem.Im really at my breaking poiny and dont know what else to do or try. He at 3 yrs old causes so much chaos he ruins alot of fun things or events for the other children. I would really love feedback on things i can do to try and change this or if anyone has ever faced these issues.I feel very alone in this!!!!!!!And if anyone has any unique things they have done or tried for their child i would love to hear them.Time outs do not work for him!!!

cathy806

Asked by cathy806 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I sure hope i don't offend you but it does sound like oppositional defiance disorder or some other problem maybe get him checked by dr and go in there at your breaking point like now so he will listen to you! I have a hyperactive child and i also have special needs kids and this doesn't sound like hyperactivity! Best of luck!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Wow...have you tried asking your pediatritian for advise? and maybe evaluate his behavior?

babysavy9

Answer by babysavy9 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Hi Cathy, I'm sorry your having such a difficult time with your little guy. I don't really have much advise, but wondering if you have contacted early intervention in your state? They could really help you with techniques for discipline as well as evaluating him for ADD or other issues. I do understand your frustration as my DS is very hyperactive as well. Good luck.
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• No offense taken! I have spoke to the pediatrician and I have even had a breakdown at the doctors it has gotten so bad but I feel like nobody is taking me seriously
    cathy806

Comment by cathy806 (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• He very well could have ADHD. Sounds to me like he is doing things for reaction....
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Yes we had early intervention but he aged out :( His behaviors have and are getting worse to the point where its putting everyone else is danger!! Thank you though
    cathy806

Comment by cathy806 (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• does anyone know if they can even diagnose and prescribe medicine for adhd at this age
    cathy806

Comment by cathy806 (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• What is the cut off limit? Here in NY it's 5yrs old. If no one will listen to you and early intervention is not an option, I would seek out a child physiologist for an evaluation. That's all I got. I hope things calm down for you.
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Yes, they can prescribe meds, but won't unless it's severe.
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Have you tried spanking him? Seriously you need to get the behavior under control now before its too late. And I hate how everyone looks at a badly behaved kids and assumes ADHD when often times its just the fact that the kid needs discipline at home. ADHD is way over labled I would say in the USA about 80% wise as a school teacher they try and tag all badly behaved kids as ADHD. I have one who really does have ADHD at home so I can tell if a kid has it or not.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 8:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2011